Blaze King Not Staying Hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Campcook

Nov 8, 2017
New Hampshire
Hi everyone, I'm in my second season with a pre-owned Blaze King Princess and I'm having some trouble.

We got the stove halfway through last winter and didn't do any maintenance on it before hooking it up. I was burning mixed hardwoods and getting about 10 hours of burn time, which I was okay with considering I knew it needed some work. I've since re-gasketed, replaced the Cat, and confirmed the t-stat is working properly, and am now managing about 18 hours during in the shoulder season/mild days and 12 hours on cold days. I was hoping for the famed 24 hour burn but based on the manual, I'm right at the average burn time for heat output so I'm not that worried about being on a 12 hour cycle.

My problem is with keeping the stove at a consistent temperature. I was expecting a set-it-and-forget-it type stove but that hasn't been my experience. Even after re-gasketing and replacing the cat I'm having to fiddle with the t-stat throughout the day to keep the stove producing heat. I close the bypass as soon as the stove is in the active zone, let it get hot (around 3/4 - the top of the range) and then slowly start turning it down. But as soon as I get the t-stat around 2 the temperature starts to drop.

To keep the stove producing heat, around halfway into the active zone, I need to keep pretty active flames, which of course cuts my burn time. If I drop the t-stat to the point where there are no active flames (around 1.75), which I thought was how the stove was meant to operate, my temp drops to the edge of the active zone and I don't get any measurable heat from it.

I'm sure this is user error but is it possible that the new cat I installed was faulty? It seemed to be working fine when it was new and the stove was producing decent heat. Am I turning the stove down too fast or too far? My wood is somewhere between 20-25% moisture - could that be the issue?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like wet wood to me
These stoves like 18% or less moisture content

Reactions: Rickb and Campcook
Ouch, you think 20-25%? That will seriously cut down on burn times because you need to run it hotter and faster just to boil off the water.

Reactions: Campcook
You are in good company ^^^^ here👍

Go to tractor supply or an equivalent store, and but a package of bio blocks. Make sure they are the ones that are suitable for wood stoves,. That will show you how that stove will work with a dry load of wood.