BlazeKing inserts; How to measure stove output?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sepidpooy

Nov 1, 2023
Seattle WA
I was wondering how people here measure the stove output of blazeking inserts since the cat thermometer is just an on/off switch and doesn't really tell how much heat stove is projecting in the room.
I have a thermometer in a room but it gets noisy results since many things in the room other than stove impact room temperature.

I was thinking to buy a wired digital thermostat and tape it to the chimney liner but that required moving the insert out.

Weigh your fuel load, time how long it lasts, apply the appropriate efficiency rating, calculate average btu per hour that your stove was “putting out”.