Block off plate above,or below smoke shelf?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12guns

Sep 29, 2012
we have decided to plumb our cabins chimney with 10" pipe and add glass doors. In doing so I will have to build a block off plate. I I visioned it going two or three inches above the opening, but below the smoke shelf. Another option is to put the block off plate above the smoke shelf. Which is right? Which will draw better?

It sounds like you are planning on using it as an open fireplace still correct? If so first thing is is 10" big enough? to find out we need to know the size of the opening. Second you don't do a blockoff plate for this situation Typically we use an adapter with a wire mesh skirt on that gets mortared in with chamber tech or a comparable smoke chamber parging material in the top of the smoke chamber.

Tell me more....I'll google that mesh skirt and see what I can find.
At this point we don't know what to do. The answer for heat will be a stove with a chimney plumbed with stove pipe. To keep,the open fireplace feel, we thought about glass doors and a plumbed chimney with stove pipe.
Decisions decisions!

it will just be a stainless ring with stainless mesh around the bottom you attach the liner to the ring pull it up tight tapcon the mesh fast and parge over it. Not complicated but can be a real pain in the ass to do. What size is the fireplace opening you need to maintain at least a 10 to 1 ratio between the fireplace opening and the liner to make it work right. Also you say stove pipe i hope you mean a stainless liner because that is what you need

The answer for heat will be a stove with a chimney plumbed with stove pipe. To keep,the open fireplace feel, we thought about glass doors and a plumbed chimney with stove pipe.

I doubt your plan will give you significantly more heat than what you get right now if that is your goal with those changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.