Block off plate - Aluminum OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
I have a pretty tight seal around my stainless liner since we were pretty precise when we cut out a section of the old fireplace damper assembly but it's about 1.5 feet above my stove. The chimney has a block off plate on the top.

I was thinking about putting in a block off plate a bit lower to trap more of the heat coming off the stove, (PE Vista), for the blower to capture since it sits mostly within the fireplace.

I have some aluminum sheet metal on hand, fairly light gauge. Is that OK for a block off plate or should I use something else? Does anyone have experience with a two piece plate? It would be easier for me to cut the hole with the tools I have and I also wouldn't have to disconnect the stove.

Somewhere someone said something about 'pinging' when they used aluminum....... expansion/contraction issue I believe.

Shari

I made a baffle plate inside my firebox from 1/16 aluminum. It takes direct flame with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.