Block off plate buy or make

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
In an effort to get my new stove to work better I'm going to install one. If you did make your own what gauge metal and was it SS ? Now if it would get me longer burns I'd be all set. I'm guessing if I trace my damper plate and add a couple inches for a flange to screw to brick I should be all set or is it easier to buy a two piece kit. Also any recommendations on insulation ?

just to keep expectations straight, a block off plate will hopefully be able to keep more heat in the room which should translate into not running the stove at full bore as often. The stove, all things being equal, will burn the same with or without the plate. I got a piece of 24 gauge galvanized steel about 2 ft x 3 ft for less than $2 at the local True Value Hardware. Insulation was $14/foot from the stove shop - NOT cheap - and somewhat arguable if necessary.

I can't recall the name of the place, but there is a guy in New Britain that makes duct work and he also will make up woodstove parts as well.
I had him fabricate a round cylinder for an Antique Round Oak stove a few years back and he did a great job. He had all the right tools.
You could make a template from cardboard and have one made up for you from whatever stock you needed. Even though I had the tools and can do this kind of stuff; he did a better job than I would have because that's all he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.