Block off plate & fresh air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pegdot

Nov 16, 2007
Upstate, SC
Okay, installing a pellet insert in an existing brick fireplace. The chimney runs straight down, no self, no damper, no angles. Removing a wood insert that currently blocks off the hole. I'm going with a 4" flexible chimney liner for the new insert but I'm a bit unsure about installing a block off plate and the fresh air line to the top of the chimney. So a couple of questions...

What materials are good to use for the fresh air pipe inside the chimney? Will it get hot? Would PVC be okay or do I need to use something else?

How well does the block off plate need to be sealed? If I have a fresh air supply to the top of the chimney can I really seal the plate off and insulate it on top to stop drafts or do I need to leave it loose enough to allow some air to pass it?

The insert I have has vents on the cover plate that I assume are to allow room air into the area around it and the previous owner ran it without a fresh air inlet to the outside but Breckwell recommends one so....I'm a bit confused as to which is the best route to take....room air or outside air? It's in an old poorly insulated house & I'd like to keep the install as simple as possible but I dont' want to lose heat up the chimney or have cold air coming in around the insert when it's not in use so I'd welcome any advice!

Thanks,
Peg

signalsteve said:
pegdot said:
Anyone???

Peg
I would use fresh air kit,stainless or aluminium, right up to roof or if it were me directly out the back of the fireplace, no heat as it is intake, also please visit my site http://ashsnorkel.net we make cleaning kits for most applications and an also adapt your application, thanks.

I'm afraid your advice came a little too late for our poor, dear, Peg. If you'll notice, posts are dated with time/date of posting. Alas, the question was 2 years ago. If only you had responded then, it might have ended differently. But, thanks for the input, and welcome aboard.

Like Hoss said, welcome to the forum signalsteve!
Once you make note of the post dates you won't
find yourself resurrecting threads that are dead and buried.

signalsteve,

Don't feel bad. I did it too. Takes a bit to get comfy here. Like hoss and xena said. Welcome aboard and enjoy this rather neat group we have. There's lots of great peeps hanging around as well.

Careful its adicting! Just like them pellets. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.