Block off plate insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kieranbh

Oct 3, 2020
New York
I am new to the forum and any recommendations would be appreciated. I am going to be installing a Jotul F100 in an existing masonry fireplace. I am using a pre insulated flex Liner kit to the top of the chimney. I am going to also be installing a damper block off plate made of galvanized steel. I purchased a piece of ceramic fiber insulation to use to top of the plate but am second guessing the product now. Due to the product hazard will the insulation need to be completely encapsulated or will sealing it above the damper plate be sufficient.

I am new to the forum and any recommendations would be appreciated. I am going to be installing a Jotul F100 in an existing masonry fireplace. I am using a pre insulated flex Liner kit to the top of the chimney. I am going to also be installing a damper block off plate made of galvanized steel. I purchased a piece of ceramic fiber insulation to use to top of the plate but am second guessing the product now. Due to the product hazard will the insulation need to be completely encapsulated or will sealing it above the damper plate be sufficient.
I'd use something other than galvanized for the plate. Not a good material to get hot as it puts off toxic fumes. To start with!

Galvanized is ok in this application and commonly used. It doesn't get hot enough to off-gas.

Around 500º IIRC.