Block Off Plate Materials?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

80s Burnout

Oct 2, 2008
South Shore - Boston
Hi.

I will be installing a block off plate and need help on appropriate materials. I went to the local hardware chain and got some galvinized sheet metal that is used to build heating ducts - like for forced hot air system.. That's all they had. I am planning to snip this to size and install. Can I use something like this? I'm not sure of the gauge. All I want to do is keep hot air from escaping up the flue. I have installed a 6" flex liner and will have a cap on the top of the chimney, but want to block off at fireplace damper too. How best to secure the block-off plate as well? I got some high temp. fireplace sealant and plan on using that around the edges?

Will my plan work? Is that galvi sheet metail suitable material?

Thanks.

Burnout

sounds good so far, I cut 'ears' in mine, to fold down, drilled a few of them ans used screws to hold in place, then sealed the edges like your planning. I had some koawool laying around, so I glued it to the top side of the block-off plate before I secured it in place.

Tapcons work well. They are masonry screws. You drill a hole for them in the bricks and then screw'em in. HD, Lowe's and hardware stores have them.

No concern about the galvanized, but I can tell you the "heating duct" material is quite a bit thinner than the 24 or 26 guage recommendation on here for a block-off plate. I can't say if it will matter, but it definitely isn't the same stuff. I was able to find enough 24 guage material at Lowes to make my block-off plate. Try there, and if you're curious, compare it to the duct stuff. Apples and oranges... Again, I don't know enough about it to say that it matters much either way...

Yeah I use the sheets from Lowe's. Eight bucks ain't cheap but it is heavy enough. Galvie has to get a lot hotter than a block off plate gets to kick fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.