Block off plate question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I had a recent pro install that did not include a block off plate in damper area. If I added one myself, would that constitute altering a pro install in the eyes of insurance? I obvious would not be disconnecting anything the pro did. In the odd event that I ever needed to use my insurance in reference to chimney or stove, was wondering if that could ever come up as an issue.

Ask your insurer. That's who you expect to pay if anything does happen.

Squisher's right, the only one who's opinion really matters is the insurer. Presented as a metal fire block I can't imagine they would balk but sometimes people get funny if you stray from the path.

Does the CSIA have any literature on block-off plates?

I need some flashing work done anyhow, I’ll see what the installer can quote me on block off plate.

When it comes to insurance I always recommend people go straight to the horses mouth for their answers. Insurance is a private business arrangement between you and them. As a sweep I can speak to code and standards all day long. But I can't speak for any insurer. What risk they do or don't accept is entirely up to them.

Get a copy of your policy and read it. I if they are not excluding fire resulting from a wood burner, it wont likely matter if you put a block-off plate in.

I've done insurance for 7 years and own an independent agency. If it's not written in the policy as an exclusion, they cant exclude it.

Reactions: Squisher
What could matter. Is if the wood burner is listed, as I assume it is. But approved with an 'inspection report' is what's common up here. If you modify something yourself after that inspection, well you'd probably know the fine print better than me......

I'd wonder how a block off plate modification would be viewed. Up here if you do a signifigant modification or change of a system then you(the sweep/installer) assume responsibility for the entire installation. As an example, if I were to pull a slammer insert to clean it and then put it back. I could be viewed as having done a non-code compliant(slammers aren't allowed up here but the odd one is still around)install and could be liable if future problems arose.

If they know you have a stove, and rated for and charged for it, it's likely covered even if you add a block off plate however it does depends on the insurance carrier. I have Cincinnati and they just wanted to know my insert was installed by a pro. They did not request any documentation whatsoever.

I also dont see how a block off plate would be the cause of a fire...

Each insurance company is different on how they write, rate, exclude, etc. I'd ask your agent or company to be 100% sure

This company does even ask about professional installation. They do ask good questions but by whom it was installed is not one of them.

Below is the application for an insert.

upload_2017-12-11_14-22-25.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like up here in BC. Insurers are getting more nervous or something. I had to do a inspection this year for a homeowner who had lived in the same place with the same insurer for 27 years. Never had a claim and always had their fireplace on the insurance. Out of the blue, full inspection before re-insured.

So my experience as a sweep has been insurers are all over the map from. Just telling them and they list it, to questionnaires as you posted, to ful, inspection reports. And the trend seems to be moving towards full inspection reports.

As you said a block off plate shouldn't cause a fire unless say the flue collar attachment was compromised while installing, even if not undoing to do it. If a block off plate was being installed how it's common to do it, disconnecting to put in place. Well obviously that could be a concern for an insurance company.

Kind of splitting hairs I know but cya,cya,cya is my mantra with insurance.

My concern would be this. The insurer may have approved insurance based on a professional installation that the OP provided a receipt for. Now the insurers risk is offset by having a 'pro' to go after if something was messed up on the install and causes a loss. Now you go ahead and put a BOP in and then something happens. Say the pro had messed up the liner attachment and a massive chimney fire happened from creosote leaking out or something. As soon as that block off plate comes into play the installer is going to be off the hook. His install was modified after the fact.

Just playing devils advocate here.

Reactions: esscontracting