block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
So for those of you that have installed them....how much diff does it make...my stove was installed into a masonry chimney with the 6" insulated flue...are they worth the time and effort?.is there a big return on the amount of heat that stays in the room?.

huge difference IMO I bent one up from 22ga steel to fit up inside the damper area of my fireplace. Now the heat stays in the room instead of going up the chimney

Well, let's talk about it. In order to to get heat into the room where the appliance is, it needs to be stopped from going elsewhere.
That's where the block off plate (BOP) comes into the equation. Where does heat go? UP. Where does the block off plate go? UP (wards).
Without a BOP, you pretty much hafta heat the entire chimney, the mass of masonry above the smoke shelf & the mass
of masonry around the firebox. Once all that gets heated, you'll get a LOT of heat into your room. With the BOP installed,
that heat rise stops at the plate. the structure above it will not get any (or minimal) heat. That heat will be confined to the area under the BOP & will heat the masonry around it. That will take less time to absorb the heat & start radiating it back into the room.
There is also the added bonus off keeping the room from getting cold air coming down from the masonry above the firebox. Read thru the posts in here about BOPs& concentrate on those where folks have burned their new appliances WITHOUT them, & what they found AFTER they had a BOP installed. You will be convinced of the need.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
huge difference IMO I bent one up from 22ga steel to fit up inside the damper area of my fireplace. Now the heat stays in the room instead of going up the chimney
Did you put an insulation up behind it, or just the block off plate?

When mine was done 4 years ago, insulation was stuffed in, but there is no plate.

Contemplating whether I think a plate would help. There is no draft feel from that area currently.........

Status
Not open for further replies.