Block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I'm going to upgrade my block-off plate from the original install. Problem is, the insert is attached to the chimney liner and I will be doing this without removing the stove insert.

I originally stuffed the space between the liner and the old stone chimney above the damper area (no terra cotta tiles) full of Roxul and wedged small steel plates to hold it all in place. Works OK, but it is far from sealed, and I think I can do better. My plan was to do the good, sealed block off during the original install, but I ran out of time.

My thoughts are to make one large sheet of steel with a slightly larger than 6 inch u shaped cut so that I can slide it right in past the liner, and make another much smaller piece with a u shaped cut for the area that will be behind the liner to fill in the hole in the larger piece. I'll leave enough overlap on the smaller piece so I can screw the two together. I'll stick some Roxul on the top of both pieces with the spray adhesive that was left over from the liner insulation job.

My other option seems to be to make two pieces, one for the left and one for the right, with half circles in the middle for the liner to go through, and enough overlap to screw them together.

This whole job is made tricky because of the small amount of space between the top of the stove and the lintel, very difficult to get the drill into some of the places that it needs to go to fasten the plate to the fireplace, fill in the gaps around the edges with high temp silicone, etc.

I'll look for some steel sheet at the big box stores, perhaps in the duct work section, and cut the straight parts with shears, the round parts with my HF dremel. I think I'll also start by making a cardboard template to get the outline right.

Any thoughts or tips would be welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.