Block wall exterior or closet interior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK7

Aug 7, 2008
Adirondacks
This is my first question after spending several days reading and enjoying other posts. We're getting ready to purchase a Jotul F600 for a basement install. We were going back and forth with an end of the room, through the block wall insallation vs. an inside through the floor / bedroom closet installation with the piping (it would be at the end of the closet and I'd need to close it off). We've read a lot about outside pipe runs concerning draft, cold pipe, creosote, etc. and understand that it is not the best choice but I'm trying to balance that with the fear of running the pipe up through a closet / roof installation. Finaly a question for you: which way would you go?

Either way, I'd like to build my own raised hearth and if anyone could point me in the direction of some good plans / pictures, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks! -

ADK7
NE NY

Welcome. My first choice would be to find a way to put the stove on the first floor unless the intent is to heat the basement.

That said, I'd run it in the interior of the house if at all possible. The installation will be safe as long as the proper pipe is used and installed correctly, clearances are honored or exceeded, there is a firestop between floors and a proper attic insulation shield. Before closing in the flue, scrupulously vacuum out any dust or debris. If you want to make the enclosure even more fireproof, you could use metal studs and durock, but that is not a requirement.

Thanks very much for your help. - We have living space and pipes in the basement we're limited to an installation there. I appreciate your response.

ADK7

ADK7, I recently made the same decision--basement install, through the wall or through the ceiling?

I decided to go through the ceiling. Aesthetically, I am confident that the bit of chimney coming up through the roof will look better than the stainless steel pipe hanging off the side of the house. Building a chase is not in the budget, and logistically it seems like it would be a headache to incorporate it on to the the house--we have vinyl siding, we'd compromise the view from one window, we'd take up space over on the side of the house by the garden boxes and flowers and whatnot. Finally, everybody says an interior chimney performs best.

I am going to install through the center of the closet in my son's room and out through the roof. I haven't started except for drilling test holes to see that everything lined up, but I don't think that the actual installation will be too daunting. Of course, I may be plumb wrong on that, but it's mainly framing and making sure the clearances are correct.

I am leery of cutting a hole through my roof, but I have a couple of friends who will help me with technical assistance to ensure waterproofness.

Good luck with your decision. Also, shop around for chimney pipe and components to get a fair price.

Thanks for the reply. I need to do the same test hole drilling. Good luck with the process. I'd be interested to hear how you make out with making and sealing lup the hole in your roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.