Blower kicked the bucket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firedancer

Oct 11, 2013
New Jersey
Hi all...been a long time since I posted but I do enjoy lurking :cool: very informative forum.

My Hearthstone Clydesdale blower chit the bucket. I went to lower the fan (too loud) and it just stopped all together. Cold here in Jersey and I'm a little concerned about packing the stove w/out the fan. Overfire??

Any thoughts on this? The stove is sitting in a masonary fireplace and my hubby won't be home till morning to investigate. :)

If you are concerned running the stove without a fan (I wouln't be), run a standing room fan a few feet away from the stove and aim it just above the stove. That is what I do with my Kent which is also in a masonry fireplace.

Reactions: Squisher
If you are concerned running the stove without a fan (I wouln't be), run a standing room fan a few feet away from the stove and aim it just above the stove. That is what I do with my Kent which is also in a masonry fireplace.

Thanks..I guess I just want to hear from others not to worry about it.

I was reasoning with myself saying it's a stove! It's what it's built for! Haha

It will be interesting to see how warm the house stays w/out using fan. I don't turn the thermostats on...electric heat here. !!!

The fan is an accessory, it is in no way needed for the stove to operate safely.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
If lowering the blower speed stopped the blower it might be the motor controller that kicked the bucket. That would be worth testing. The control is much less expensive. Has the blower ever been cleaned or the motor oiled?

If lowering the blower speed stopped the blower it might be the motor controller that kicked the bucket. That would be worth testing. The control is much less expensive. Has the blower ever been cleaned or the motor oiled?
How do you determine if it's the controller?

Our switch usually goes ever year. When it does go kaput, I use a jumper wire in place of the switch, and plug the Blower into a Power Strip so I can turn off the Blower for reloads.....granted, it runs full bore only, but works until I get another switch.

Our switch usually goes ever year. When it does go kaput, I use a jumper wire in place of the switch, and plug the Blower into a Power Strip so I can turn off the Blower for reloads.....granted, it runs full bore only, but works until I get another switch.
BB- Do you order a new switch part from the stove manufacturer, or buy a generic one off the shelf? If the later, where do you get it?

Thanks to all who replied. Easy fix!

So the wire was completely disconnected/unplugged from where it belongs. Removed the front to access the unit and there it was, disconnected. Just pushed it back into place.

I suspect the wire got caught in the dial that controls the fan speed and was inadvertently pulled out in the process of lowering the blower speed.

While the fan was off and not working, the sound of SILENCE was nice! Why haven't they made these fans quieter?? :p

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
BB- Do you order a new switch part from the stove manufacturer, or buy a generic one off the shelf? If the later, where do you get it?
I went back to the place I bought the stove from.....it was in the mid $20 range to replace. What I also did was write to the manufacturer of the switch, who stated he's never heard of a failure......I am on my 7th switch. He said it could be a power surge frying it, or the constant shut off / on while reloading, so we now lower the fan speed for a reload, not shut it off, we'll see if we can get two seasons out of it.