Blower Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyboync

Hearth Supporter
Jul 12, 2009
NC
Is it necessary to take out the blower motor once and a while and do some maintenance? Like maybe adding some sort of oil or grease to some bearings. I got a Buck 91 and can pull it out from the front. Never done it but it shouldn't be too difficult. Certainly better than pulling one mounted on the back of an insert like my old Black Bart. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

It is good to really clean out the blower and the blower area ocassionally. Clean the fan squirrel cage or blades well. If you are lucky, the motor will have tiny oil ports for the armature bearings. If not, it is a sealed bearing assembly. You can carefully drill an oiling port if you know what you are doing, but if not, just reinstall after cleaning.

I pull the fan out a couple times during the burn season and clean it using the air compressor. I can't see any place to oil so I assume it's a sealed bearing. Pete

heatwise said:
I pull the fan out a couple times during the burn season and clean it using the air compressor. I can't see any place to oil so I assume it's a sealed bearing. Pete

I pull mine a couple of times a season (24/7 burn). After a thorough cleaning with the AC, I pull the motor apart and change the sealed bearings. Usually go through a pair of bearings annually. Bearings cost me $4 apiece. Lots cheaper that a new fan or fan motor. Been running the same blower for 12 years now.

Thanks for the help guys. I took the motor out today and I have no idea how to add oil or take that thing apart so I just cleaned everything up and put it back in. If it breaks I'll buy another one and use the current one to take apart and learn from. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.