Blower or eco fan for new wood insert install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Match Girl

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota
Hi! Thanks for helping me!
I made the exciting decision to install a Lopi 1750i into my fireplace!

Should I purchase the factory blower or get an eco fan? Or is there a reason for both? Which one is a must?
My fireplace seller is a big "fan" of the eco fan for its quiet operation, no electricity needed, lower price and little to no maintenance. And he says The 812AMKBX Eco fan has higher cfm's than the lopi blower. .....but the little info I've been able to find on here.... This Is a "hot" debate. My house is 24x26(?) 2 story. The fireplace is on main floor with the chimney running up the center of the house.

I love the aesthetics of the stove top fan and quiet operation... But with it being an insert, i know it'll be less radiant heat maybe? 9 inches protrudes out of the fireplace with the 1750i. Also wondering if I'd get more heat if i didn't install a metal panel to frame it in. Without the panel, there would be a six inch gap on top and 2 1/2 inches or so on either side.

But will that stove top fan be positioned properly on the insert?... I don't think it can sit next to the pipe... But rather in front and to the side.

If i want the factory blower, then install time is the best time to do that bc they can run the cord down the ash hole in the chimney of fireplace.

So what should I do?

-Blower vs. Fan?
-Panel or no panel?
-Eco fan Airmax vs. The other brands out there?
Thanks!

Get the blower. The ecofan is cute, but does not move a high volume of air despite the ratings. You can install the insert without the surround. However, without a block-off plate most of the extra heat will go up the chimney cavity. With an interior chimney this is not a big deal, especially if the chimney has some exposure to the interior of the house. The masonry will release some heat gradually back to the interior of the home.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I have 2 of the fans I love ours they are more of a trinket than a true air mover. They definitely don't move as much air as a blower but still help. The blower on low that our stove came with is too loud to watch TV at a comfortable volume so the ecofan is a good alternative. We actually have the Voda fans and both run silent.

Attachments

• 20180924_202310.jpg
    20180924_202310.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 444
Thank you for the picture Chas0218!

The blower can be kept off then when you don't want it on?

Maybe I'll get the blower for those cold Northwoods days... But still get a fan at some point for the visual fun at least and small movement.

Has anyone had experience with the lopi blower?

The Lopi blower is variable speed. On low speed it is quite reasonable. If the stove top fan is just for a visual clue then there are some inexpensive imported knockoffs for sale on Amazon that will work.

Thank you for the picture Chas0218!

The blower can be kept off then when you don't want it on?

Maybe I'll get the blower for those cold Northwoods days... But still get a fan at some point for the visual fun at least and small movement.

Has anyone had experience with the lopi blower?

Yeah we usually shut the blower off when watching TV, when I built our addition I installed a switched outlet so I don't have to reach around the hot stove to shut it off. I also shut the blower off when people are visiting so we don't have to talk over it. The Voda fans are about half the price of the EcoFans and I haven't noticed a difference between our Voda fans and my friend's EcoFan except the cost. In the shoulder season it is nice not having to run the blower, our blower is the "hair dryer" style and quite loud. I have read the other style isn't as loud. Below is the blower that came with our stove.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/England...wer-for-Englander-Wood-Stoves-AC-16/100647272

Thank you begreen and chas0218!

I was going to ask the probably debatable question whether the Less expensive versions are as powerful as the airmax? Or if the cost difference is more about being made in Canada vs China? ....because if i do buy one, I want it to be a valid substitute to the blower when i need it to be ... I do lose power from time to time. ...but beyond the airmax brand.... There are so many different ones on Amazon... 2 blade' 3 and 4 blade...??

And begreen: do you think the actual heat output, besides the chimney plate thing, is not going to be too noticeable either way, frame or no frame? The back of the chimney runs up along the stairway to the bed rooms, and the front side upstairs is in one bedroom... I thought about exposing it at some point if that would actually help the space heat up... I actually like that rustic industrial look.

Thank you begreen and chas0218!

I was going to ask the probably debatable question whether the Less expensive versions are as powerful as the airmax? Or if the cost difference is more about being made in Canada vs China? ....because if i do buy one, I want it to be a valid substitute to the blower when i need it to be ... I do lose power from time to time. ...but beyond the airmax brand.... There are so many different ones on Amazon... 2 blade' 3 and 4 blade...??

And begreen: do you think the actual heat output, besides the chimney plate thing, is not going to be too noticeable either way, frame or no frame? The back of the chimney runs up along the stairway to the bed rooms, and the front side upstairs is in one bedroom... I thought about exposing it at some point if that would actually help the space heat up... I actually like that rustic industrial look.
No matter which one you get it will never be a substitute for the blower mounted on the stove. Especially on an insert.

The stove top fans are meant to pull cooler air from behind, push it over the top so it heats up, and out into the room. That said, putting it on the front still does that, but it pulls hot air across the top and through it's fins. This will reduce the life of the motor (how much, I don't know), but if you use it only during power outages, may not matter too much. I've considered getting one myself for the times the power goes out instead of a backup power supply.

I was wondering if you could sit it on the outer edge of one side with the back facing one side of the room... Then it would draw room air across the stove and send it to the opposite side of the room instead of out in front 20181018_153008_Burst01.jpg of the stove. Do you think that would work?

I was wondering if you could sit it on the outer edge of one side with the back facing one side of the room... Then it would draw room air across the stove and send it to the opposite side of the room instead of out in front View attachment 231204 of the stove. Do you think that would work?
It would do something. But nowhere near as much as the stock blower circulating air around the stove through the convective jacket.

The blower is definitely a primary heat mover. It’s great for bringing a cold room up to temperature quickly or for helping to spread heat to the farthest reaches of a house. We would not use a high speed when we were actually in the room, but we did use it late at night or early in the morning when kids were in bed. We found low speeds just fine for conversation or if the kids watched a video in the basement. I imagine ours was the same blower that would be on your stove.

You can always switch the blower off if you just need silence (a rare treat for a mom of four) or less heat. The stove will heat its immediate area well even without one, but it’s an asset I wouldn’t want to forgo when it’s really cold out, and you’re trying to push heat farther away. You made a good decision.

This forum is a super-helpful one. I know you were needing to work on your hearth for the installation. That is not my area of expertise, but I’ve read enough threads to know that if you post up a hearth installation thread with questions or ideas, you’ll get a lot of good input from knowledgeable and experienced folks.

The blower is definitely a primary heat mover. It’s great for bringing a cold room up to temperature quickly or for helping to spread heat to the farthest reaches of a house. We would not use a high speed when we were actually in the room, but we did use it late at night or early in the morning when kids were in bed. We found low speeds just fine for conversation or if the kids watched a video in the basement. I imagine ours was the same blower that would be on your stove.

You can always switch the blower off if you just need silence (a rare treat for a mom of four) or less heat. The stove will heat its immediate area well even without one, but it’s an asset I wouldn’t want to forgo when it’s really cold out, and you’re trying to push heat farther away. You made a good decision.

This forum is a super-helpful one. I know you were needing to work on your hearth for the installation. That is not my area of expertise, but I’ve read enough threads to know that if you post up a hearth installation thread with questions or ideas, you’ll get a lot of good input from knowledgeable and experienced folks.

Good to hear from you DuaeGuttae!
Silence is a rare occurence indeed! ...usually only if everyone's sleeping!

Yes! Now I do need to tackle my hearth! Is this group of the forum an ok place to ask questions? I built a simple Lean to off the side of my shed with some recycled materials and have ordered my wood... So now the hearth!

I bought a cheap oscillating multi tool at harbor freight and tried it out quick today. I'm going to try to make the extension as near the floor level as possible, so I'll use the tool to take a couple surface layers out... Good idea about a new thread for that! Maybe I'll tackle that in the morning!

My house is 3000 sq.ft. with the stove on the first floor (1500 sq.ft.) in the corner of the living room. For the most part the it is open concept with a bedroom off that living room and the bathroom along with the pantry in the middle of the house. Basically a C shape of open area, I can get the living room to about 78* and the rest of the downstairs is around 72-74* all this is done with the blower on if I don't run the blower the rest of the house is about 4* cooler. The upstairs runs right around 70* just with the warm air pushing up the stairwell and convection in the other rooms.

I will add that the blower is still low CFM but the added convection deck where the air is pushed through heats that air much better than just blowing air across the stove.

Thank you! I didn't realize the integral convection chamber worked in company with the blower... So now I see how the blower is more effective. I definitely will install one! Thank you!