Blowers/fan effect on a hot stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
So pointing a fan/using a blower on a hot stove will cool down the outside...but does it do anything for prolonging component life on the inside of the stove? I've accepted my fate that my F602 is happiest burning hot. Wondering if cooling down the outside of the stove would do anything to prolong the life of the stove? Kind of doubt it, but just thought I'd throw it out there; the inside will still be hot I'd think.

Interesting question. My experience is running fans pulls heat off the stove into the house. The back bedrooms get warmer and my burn times go down.

No idea what happens to internal temp of fhe stove when i do that.

Do you point the fan at the stove or away from it? I usually put mine close to the stove pointing away, not sure what is the best way :)
And this is not with the intent to cool the stove but rather moving the warm air out in the house.

I always wonder what effect it has on the cat longevity on these BKs blowing across the top.

Do you point the fan at the stove or away from it? I usually put mine close to the stove pointing away, not sure what is the best way :)
And this is not with the intent to cool the stove but rather moving the warm air out in the house.
I'm pointing it at the stove, but I think the effect is the same, replacing hot air surrounding the stove with cooler air. Usually though the natural convection is just fine. I only use it when the temps get out of control.