Boiler help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
OK.

IMO that temp should be set up to at least 160°. There is no sense in sending wood water any cooler than that over to the system. And typical dT thru a system or unit you would aim for in a design is 20, minumum return temp should be 140 to prevent condensation in the wood fire box. No idea what the dT would be through what you have, but I would start at setting that to 160. Maybe higher depending what the return temp to wood boiler ends up at - wood return should be kept above 140.

By the sounds of it & water going backwards, that means there is no check in that green circ. So what I would try is open all 4 of those valves, except for the yellow one that is closed in the pic. Keep that one closed. Rest open. That should send wood water though the oil boiler when zones are closed. Would be backward thru the green circ but that should be OK. And don't switch that green pump off. When fire dies & wood circ stops, and the oil needs to take over, it should pull thru the zones the 'right' or normal way and not pull much through the wood boiler. Some of that is trail & error, don't know which way has more head. If it does pull through the wood & you don't want it to, a check valve maybe could be added.

See what happens. Part of this is how much each circ flows when it is running.

Also a chance i might have missed something....

So just an update. I had heating company come look at it and they said that it would need some reworking on the loops to get it right. I havent heard back about what the solution would be. We had a osburn 2400 insert installed in the house so we are heating with that. I plan to get this boiler going but not in a rush anymore.

Thanks for all the help with this! Still a lot to learn.

Sorry forgot to include that. Yes I did try that. On one of my first runs. What seemed to be happening is the green pump was over powering the one on the wood boiler. After 5-10 min the water temp in the wood boiler was 180 and it was shut off. The water in the other boiler was down to 130 and the oil heat kicked in. Next time I fire it up I am going to try that again to see if i had something wrong. I thought that would be the best option as with out that pump the system could completely fail if the water temp were to drop below 160 I would have no pumps going.

I feel like something was removed 7 years ago when the new boiler was put in. I am willing to be the people who had this put in said they would never use the wood boiler so they did have to configured the same to have it work. I will prob never find out.

I did turn the low temp to around 160 as you suggested. No sense sending that water around.