Boiler Info Resource

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
jim, i have had this same discussion with cleveland hays, about o2 trim for wood appliances, i have a 2 distributor/installers in ct.they both wondered why i would want to spend for this on a wood appliance, in their eyes this is a industrial process with expensive equiptment in unchartered smoke, basically they were not willing to take a risk. their probe/sensor/electronics runs about $4300.00, before a pid and vsd and 3 phase motor. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but pretty persistent, so i have gone my own direction, last winter i shelved the standard garn control package and single phase motor, in favor of a 2hp 3 phase motor capable of 80 hz all day long, installed a hitatchi vsd with imbedded pid. now manually i can control fan speed. the pid is minimally programmable, but inputs a 4/20 milliamp. I aquired a adc insitu flue gas analyser /it has a bosch 4 wire 02 sensor housed in a stack mount probe, it was programmed with a wood specific value as well as a specific co2 % by volume, enabeling me with a flue mount tthermocouple to display flue temp, co2, o2, net effiency, but more importantly scale it's 4/20 milliamp signal to the vsd., based on a 02 percent. as said earlier the pid is not robust enough to controll the process well enough, so i have a allen bradley plc due soon that should work well. My first observations with me acting as pid and manually playing potentiometer was that the garn would take all 80hz and could atbest maintain a 2 level a first 25%of burn, showing a little smoke , the rest of the burn could easily be modulated to maintain a 4 level , and suprisingly at end with 35hz, all wood burned. I will post more when the plc is programmed. tom

Status
Not open for further replies.