Boiler Thermostat Interference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NickG

Jan 3, 2022
Massachusetts
Hello, I just had a wood stove installed in my living room. I love it! But there's a small problem, and maybe bigger problem beyond that.

Small Problem: my thermostat is located on the wall opposite the wood stove, maybe 20 feet away. So if I start my wood stove in the morning, burn it all day and one last load before bed, my heating system doesn't come on, which I like! It does leave certain parts of the house cold, which isn't great, but not a big deal to me. However, I'm afraid of a potentially bigger problem.

Big Problem: My friend said that two houses she's lived in in the past that have relied heavily on wood stoves in the winter had pipes burst. I assume this is because the wood stove is preventing the heating system from turning on, and on real cold nights, the house gets too cold in certain spots even though it's warm in near the thermostat sensor from the stove. Maybe put a remote sensor in the coldest part of the house and only turn on the heat at night?

I've considered getting a remote sensor and placing it somewhere that makes sense, but I'm afraid I'll end up with most of the house too hot (stove heat + oil heat), or burning oil more than I'd like. Curious to see what this community has to say about this scenario, it cant be new. But all my searches about thermostats have questions about thermostat controlled stoves!

This comes up several times in winter. There are some options. One is a device that cycles the boiler for 5-10 minutes at designated intervals. Another is to zone the heating system so that it satisfies the need in the remote parts of the house. Or make sure that any area the pipes are in is fully insulated within the house envelope. Make sure that the basement is well sealed and consider insulating around the rim joint area.