Boiler with a Geo Thermal setup in the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
((60*2)*240) = 28,800 watts at full draw

For a 60 amp breaker the max sustained current draw would be 48 amps anything higher will start to trip the breaker after a period of time.

I suspect you have a 10000 watt heating element because I doubt they make a simple combination to get to a 11000 watt electric heat element which would correspond to 48 amps roughly.

You would have to look at the spec sheet for the heat pump. I suspect its between 3k-5k watts at a steady state also dependent on which stage its running in. The technical literature for the heat pump recommends a larger breaker I suspect to avoid nuisance tripping on startup. Geothermal heat pumps are about 1000 watts per ton. So a 4 ton system would be in the 4000 watt draw at steady state.

You would never draw 28kw though otherwise breakers would trip.

Hope this helps.

If I had to guess at full tilt with the heat pump and electric heat running your drawing about 14k to 15k watts. That would be for a 4 or 5 ton system.

Last edited:
For a 60 amp breaker the max sustained current draw would be 48 amps anything higher will start to trip the breaker after a period of time.
Interesting, I never knew this. I should of paid more attention in my basic electric class in college.

I went downstairs and look at the auxiliary heat pack.

14.4/19.2kW
69.3/80 amps
Model Number EAL20

The first number is for 208V rating according to the documentation. From what I am reading in this document it looks like the heat pack is rated at 65,500 BTU/HR.

You would have to look at the spec sheet for the heat pump. I suspect its between 3k-5k watts at a steady state also dependent on which stage its running in. The technical literature for the heat pump recommends a larger breaker I suspect to avoid nuisance tripping on startup. Geothermal heat pumps are about 1000 watts per ton. So a 4 ton system would be in the 4000 watt draw at steady state.
According to my Efergy it draws 2.4kW when running during the first stage. I verified this with an amp clamp too. I haven't really paid attention to what it draws in the second stage.

Thanks for all your insights. You must be an electrical engineer by trade. ;)

Interesting, I never knew this. I should of paid more attention in my basic electric class in college.

I went downstairs and look at the auxiliary heat pack.

14.4/19.2kW
69.3/80 amps
Model Number EAL20

The first number is for 208V rating according to the documentation. From what I am reading in this document it looks like the heat pack is rated at 65,500 BTU/HR.

I dont quite understand those two tables in the document you linked they seem to be contradictory. I think there must be different connections on the heat pack depending upon desired output. 65,500 BTU corresponds to about 80 amps on a 240v circuit youd trip a 60 amp breaker. They do have a 40amp option for wiring in one of the tables with the EAL20. Again I dont quite understand the descriptions in the two tables but if you have a 60 amps breaker Im guessing its wired for a 40 amps draw which is about 33000 btus.

Our heat packs have come on quite a bit the last three nights. Its been -26F, -25F, and -18F. During the day I turn our pellet stove on but Im sure Ive racked up some higher electrical usage the last three nights.

Last edited: