Boiler Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BoiledOver

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2013
43°58'55 N - 85°20' W
Its pretty close to decision time. Which stack for this coming season? Need to get a cover on the one to draw from. Four year oak or two year maple mixed with one summer aspen? Hmmm..
fw.jpg

Reactions: pernox
Is the maple seasoned yet? If it is I vote that switching to oak if the winter is brutally cold

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Its pretty close to decision time. Which stack for this coming season? Need to get a cover on the one to draw from. Four year oak or two year maple mixed with one summer aspen? Hmmm..
View attachment 199299
Maple and aspen, then you can hit the oak as a backup if need be. (As offered up above) How much are you burning yearly? I'm an owb guy too, Woodmaster 4400, about 15 cord mixed hardwood and soft stuff for the shoulders or mixed in on milder winter days.

Maple and aspen, then you can hit the oak as a backup if need be. (As offered up above) How much are you burning yearly? I'm an owb guy too, Woodmaster 4400, about 15 cord mixed hardwood and soft stuff for the shoulders or mixed in on milder winter days.
Before posting I had my plan to use the maple/aspen this winter. Posted to see what others would do. My thinking is the aspen can turn to balsa before ya know it. Didn't want to risk it going to punk before using.

Having a gasifying wood boiler is slightly different from the outdoor type. We run our burns flat out while charging the storage tanks, so shoulder season doesn't influence firewood quality. Each four row stack contains just under 4-1/2 cords and is good for one average winter.

Bringing down the last of the maple for 19/20 winter.
fffw-1.jpg

Good call on the aspen that can rot.

I often ask myself the same question on my stacks. I am a couple years ahead and always seem to have a pile of old oak that gets passed over for wood with a shorter shelf life. Tough problem to have.==c Most people I know always are running out and never have this dilemma.