Bone dry load of locust delivered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
My firewood guy dumped a load of the driest firewood I have ever seen yesterday! Not one piece of bark in the entire load! He told me a guy had it laying in his yard since the hurricane of 1938 lol and it does look that way.. Locust will last forever and this stuff is incredibly dry and sounds like bowling pins when hit together.. I have another cord of locust coming too :)

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_4679 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4679 (Large).JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_4680 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4680 (Large).JPG
    340 KB · Views: 247
I guess you really wouldn't even have to stack it. >>
I've gotten some down BL that was that dry. Rings like a bell. :cool: There may be a little more over there but I haven't made it back yet; Got most of the grounders last time. I know there's a big one down but it's not that dry. Just talked to a neighbor and he's got several that he wants taken out. The bark is falling off some of those. None on the property, but there's enough close by to keep some in the stacks. I don't have anyone bringing it to me, though. In case I forgot to mention it....Awesome loads! :)

Reactions: raybonz
I guess you really wouldn't even have to stack it. >>
I've gotten some down BL that was that dry. Rings like a bell. :cool: There may be a little more over there but I haven't made it back yet; Got most of the grounders last time. I know there's a big one down but it's not that dry. Just talked to a neighbor and he's got several that he wants taken out. The bark is falling off some of those. None on the property, but there's enough close by to keep some in the stacks. I don't have anyone bringing it to me, though. In case I forgot to mention it....Awesome loads! :)
No bark whatsoever and totally dry.. Unreal and heavy as hell :cool: I believe I have one more locust load just like this one coming.. Might be here by the weekend we will see..

Ray

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
No bark whatsoever and totally dry.. Unreal and heavy as hell :cool:
When it's dry, yet heavy, you know you've got something good. Added plus...the stinky bark is gone, if it's BL. ==c
So is that BL or HL? It sure looks like the old BL I've found. The yellow color of the wood fades. Some small ones I've gotten, the wood was getting brown. Have you burned BL before?

When it's dry, yet heavy, you know you've got something good. Added plus...the stinky bark is gone, if it's BL. ==c
So is that BL or HL? It sure looks like the old BL I've found. The yellow color of the wood fades. Some small ones I've gotten, the wood was getting brown. Have you burned BL before?
I think it's black locust with very tight growth rings. The wood is mostly pale yellow a little of it is a light brown. I have burned BL before but never with no bark.. Well worth $185.00 I think.. Have some real decent wood beside that too..

Ray

So how much total are you getting for $185, like 1.5 cords? For dry, primo wood, I'd consider that a good deal here, undoubtedly better in MA.

Damn, son, how high is that stack in the background? _g

So how much total are you getting for $185, like 1.5 cords? For dry, primo wood, I'd consider that a good deal here, undoubtedly better in MA.

Damn, son, how high is that stack in the background? _g
I pay $185.00 a cord here and that's a good price here.. I tend to get more than I pay for with this firewood guy.. That stack is 6-1/2'- 7' high.. Will probably lower that if I have extra room as it tends to get unstable above 5'..

Ray

I'm slowly building my stash of good wood, but for now I'm burning the quick-dry stuff...White Ash, Cherry, soft Maple.

I'm slowly building my stash of good wood, but for now I'm burning the quick-dry stuff...White Ash, Cherry, soft Maple.
The wood in the stack is mostly red oak and the rest is cherry.. I did that stuff over the winter.. Have another uprooted cherry to cut up near my field but been too busy stacking etc.

Ray

I'm just getting all giddy lookin at that stuff Ray. In my opinion there is nothing better than what you have right there. I have a fair amount in my stacks just like that....bone dry and no bark. This winter if I got home late and the stove was almost out I would split some of that down small and when I was lighting the super cedar the lighter would actually start that stuff on fire without any fire starter.

nice score - primo dead o' winter stuff there!

Nice to not have to worry when it's ready to burn.
Better give your supplier a little bonus :)

The wood in the stack is mostly red oak and the rest is cherry.
A guy could have those two, and have it pretty much covered. I know you've got enough dry, now the BL too, to let that Oak sit. :cool:
I do have some Red Oak I can probably use; Upper branches off dead trees that I'll be working up soon. And the oldest of my BL will be pretty good by next year. Quite a bit of my dry Hickory met its demise in the MIL's Buck 91. <> Had to get long, hot burns over there whereas I could feed my stove more often if needed, and used Cherry, Red Maple, Red Elm, Ash.

I wish they would institute the 48-hour day, with all this woodwork I've got to do. ;lol

Ray that is some nice wood you have there and brown ends ta boot ! What a pay day !

Pete

You got an extra bonus in that load of locust, what with the bark off of it. The bark on BL is so fat and thick that it takes up space from the real wood. I'd get as much as I could if it's all like that... nice catch!

I got some locust like that three years ago. I was doing some clearing with an excavator and uncovered some solid trees that where down and overgrown. I had never seen black locust before but I knew what is was as soon as I saw the yellow where it was scraped along with how hard it was. I started burning that at the end of this season but I did burn some of it the year I got it just to try it out.

I would think about putting this stuff ahead of your oak just to give it more time to season. Also I would get as much as I could. ;)

Not one piece of bark in the entire load! He told me a guy had it laying in his yard since the hurricane of 1938 lol and it does look that way.

Almost as old as Dennis's ( aka BackwoodsSavages) wood LOL ;lol

Nice going Ray! Perhaps we need to get together with someone who has a MM and see who has the dries wood?! ;lol I also have to laugh as I can still picture poor Tony trying to split some of that wood at Woodstock's factory. Perhaps we should do that again.

Nice wood! But it doesn't look that old really. I'm finding the bark on BL comes off pretty quickly...

I burned from Dec 20th to the first week in March this year nothing but 10 to 15 year old splits. It was a mix of BL, Red Oak, Cedar and large Hemlock. It was actually too dry. Alot of folks here said "It can't be too dry...", but that stuff was too dry. It burned super hot, and fairly quickly. I found once it got down to a large bed of hot coals, it was RIPPING HOT. Once I finished that wood, I started buring normal 1-3 year old splits, and the heat was much more even, softer and the burn times when way up.

You got an extra bonus in that load of locust, what with the bark off of it. The bark on BL is so fat and thick that it takes up space from the real wood. I'd get as much as I could if it's all like that... nice catch!
Have another cord coming soon ;) I am fortunate to have such high quality firewood ..

Ray

Nice wood! But it doesn't look that old really. I'm finding the bark on BL comes off pretty quickly...

I burned from Dec 20th to the first week in March this year nothing but 10 to 15 year old splits. It was a mix of BL, Red Oak, Cedar and large Hemlock. It was actually too dry. Alot of folks here said "It can't be too dry...", but that stuff was too dry. It burned super hot, and fairly quickly. I found once it got down to a large bed of hot coals, it was RIPPING HOT. Once I finished that wood, I started buring normal 1-3 year old splits, and the heat was much more even, softer and the burn times when way up.
It is very old and the outer part of the wood has a black color.. This tree was enormous and has been down for many years.. Locust does not rot like many other woods and it's why pier pilings are made from it..

Ray

Nice going Ray! Perhaps we need to get together with someone who has a MM and see who has the dries wood?! ;lol I also have to laugh as I can still picture poor Tony trying to split some of that wood at Woodstock's factory. Perhaps we should do that again.
Think we'd have a good contest and this locust would kill Tony lol.. I think you'd have to drill holes into this locust to get the probes into it! It's wicked hard dense stuff!

Ray

Yup I sure remember that day, my arms are still vibrating from that Dennis wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.