Boots for steep hills? Are logger boots worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cjgoode

Aug 30, 2016
Sylva Nc
I am struggling working on steep hills, ankle wants to roll and have a hard time with traction. I am using a brush cutter. Are logger boots worth it, is it odd to have he high heel. Hiking boots are not cutting it, not to prevent ankle rolling, traction or stepping on objects. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
My 9" loggers work fairly well for working in uneven, stony, or hilly bush. Ultimately I prefer moccasins, but those aren't very protective on the toes.

Reactions: JimBear
I went with Carhartt 8 inch loggers. I really wanted Chippewa but could not justify an extra $100. After a ton of research the logger boots have a taller heal, suppose to help on steep hills for traction and most reviewers say it helps with back pain. I guess I will find out tomorrow when my boots get here. The only local store that sells work boots did not have any logger boots in stock, only on display. Ugh so I had to guess my size and order online. No way would I try moccasins. If I can keep the hills trimmed down and the sappling stumps go away and get it back to grass like it was long before I bought it, maybe then moccasins, but still think I would end up at the bottom of the hill with those.

I love my chippewas, and my carolinas( summer) I wear them just for cutting. I have the steel toed ones !!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Follow up. That high heel on logger boots makes a huge difference in traction, and the ankle support to stop ankle rolling crossing steep hills also great. Its odd walking with a high heel for me on cement, makes going up steep hills much easier, but the extra flex on the ankle going straight down a little uncomfortable. I have to serpentine down the hills. But for working on, weed whacking/brush cutting and working with a chain saw on steep hills, wow what a difference. I feel so much safer, and its so much easier. Even my very good hiking boots pail in comparison on steel hills.

Reactions: JimBear
Glad you're happy with the loggers, I have a pair that I wear on uneven terrain as well.

Hey, I feel your struggle! While I never encountered any issues when I was younger, I started experiencing severe pain while working on steep hills. The pain in the ankle is absolutely killing me! To make it worse, I also had surgery on my left ankle a couple of years ago. From my own experience, I can definitely say the Timberland boots are by far the best option for logging uneven terrain. Cheers!

My land is super steep with loose loamy soil. Logger boots work well for me. The ones with the cutaway heel, not a full heel like regular work boots. Mine are Redwings but many companies make them.

I’m no orthopedist or sports medicine expert, but I do believe tall boots help.

These have become my favorites, I buy a new pair every 3-5 years, as I’m spending a few days plus a few evenings almost every week in them.

Georgia Boot Men's Georgia 8"... Amazon product ASIN B00131OF6K
I tried Redwings, but I really don’t get the hype, I like my Georgia Boots better.

Last edited:
I enjoy Cofra brand boots.
I get about 3 years out of a pair before stitching comes apart.
1/2 day to break them in,by the end of the day you don't remember you put on new boots.
I have worn them for rock climbing and zip lining and they support my bum ankle where it doesn't collapse on me much.Unlike shoes where stepping on a rock with the inside of my shoe will collapse my ankle.Fortunately i don't get any pain when my ankle rolls over.

The best boots I’ve ever used on steep ground all day are caulked rubber boots for logging. Not just me, a lot of guys would wear them even in the summer. Madsens in chehalis Washington has a couple choices. Nicknamed clown boots or milk boots. Nothing beats them for all day. They carry quite a few selections

The best boots I’ve ever used on steep ground all day are caulked rubber boots for logging. Not just me, a lot of guys would wear them even in the summer. Madsens in chehalis Washington has a couple choices. Nicknamed clown boots or milk boots. Nothing beats them for all day. They carry quite a few selections
Got a photo to go with imagined picture in my head?

Here’s the clown boot

B53E262A-D829-4AB5-A82F-98CC461AE080.png

Wow, don't step on your buddy's hand, with those! !!!

I have Chippewa's with the high heal. To be truthful I do not like them. They are not comfortable. My next boots are going to be these. Have always had good luck with the Keen's I use for different purposes. Seem to be comfortable from day one.

81aOyV2dGOL._AC_AA220_.jpg

Last edited:
I have Chippewa's with the high heal. To be truthful I do not like them. They are not comfortable. My next boots are going to be these. Have always had good luck with the Keen's I use for different purposes. Seem to be comfortable from day one.

View attachment 293671
When I saw your photo and before I read your text, I was reminded my Timberland Endurance PRO waterproof hiking boots, which are also hella uncomfortable:

I've owned two or three pairs of these in the last 20 years, but they seem to have changed something between the 2013 and 2016 builds, which has made them unwearable. Bummer, as the old design was one of the few short boots which I didn't walk out of and get heel blisters.

Here’s the clown boot

View attachment 293670

I really want a pair of Class 3 rubber boots. I have to pairs of Chippewa super loggers, but they are so heavy compared to my steel toe XtraTuffs that I don't even wear them anymore. I'll probably never go back to leather boots.

It’s weird how comfortable the thin rubber boots are. Definitely would need to be careful as theres literally no protection. Everything was based on how quickly a guy could escape death or injury. LNI never bothered us on the matter up in the high country unless there was an event. Most guys didn’t wear chaps or ear protection.It’s a very different world in big old growth on extremely steep ground. Seen some crazy stuff. Everything changed when we switched into second growth. Loved chaps for saving my pants from wear and started using ear plugs. Love them. Never could wear eye protection. Almost killed myself trying

I never liked any of the leather upper with the rubber bottoms. Sure seemed like a good idea but not from my experience. There’s an outfit nearby that will put caulks on just about anything and there was a while a lot of guys would have high top tennis shoes caulked. I had a pair, they were ok. Madsens sells a light hiking shoe now that’s caulked and I have wore out a good # of those. Definitely nice in the summer time