Boots for steep hills? Are logger boots worth it?

cjgoode

Aug 30, 2016
Sylva Nc
I am struggling working on steep hills, ankle wants to roll and have a hard time with traction. I am using a brush cutter. Are logger boots worth it, is it odd to have he high heel. Hiking boots are not cutting it, not to prevent ankle rolling, traction or stepping on objects. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
My 9" loggers work fairly well for working in uneven, stony, or hilly bush. Ultimately I prefer moccasins, but those aren't very protective on the toes.

Reactions: JimBear

cjgoode

Aug 30, 2016
Sylva Nc
I went with Carhartt 8 inch loggers. I really wanted Chippewa but could not justify an extra $100. After a ton of research the logger boots have a taller heal, suppose to help on steep hills for traction and most reviewers say it helps with back pain. I guess I will find out tomorrow when my boots get here. The only local store that sells work boots did not have any logger boots in stock, only on display. Ugh so I had to guess my size and order online. No way would I try moccasins. If I can keep the hills trimmed down and the sappling stumps go away and get it back to grass like it was long before I bought it, maybe then moccasins, but still think I would end up at the bottom of the hill with those.

I love my chippewas, and my carolinas( summer) I wear them just for cutting. I have the steel toed ones !!

Reactions: SpaceBus

cjgoode

Aug 30, 2016
Sylva Nc
Follow up. That high heel on logger boots makes a huge difference in traction, and the ankle support to stop ankle rolling crossing steep hills also great. Its odd walking with a high heel for me on cement, makes going up steep hills much easier, but the extra flex on the ankle going straight down a little uncomfortable. I have to serpentine down the hills. But for working on, weed whacking/brush cutting and working with a chain saw on steep hills, wow what a difference. I feel so much safer, and its so much easier. Even my very good hiking boots pail in comparison on steel hills.

Reactions: JimBear

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Glad you're happy with the loggers, I have a pair that I wear on uneven terrain as well.

EODMSgt

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2018
White Mountain Region, NH
I've been happy with the Timberland Pro boots for logging uneven terrain but may have to check out the Carhartt boots when it's time to replace them.

Amazon product