Bosca Ignitor question part 2 with Picture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berg

Feb 18, 2012
utah
So I dove in to the base of my Bosca Spirit 500 to check out the ignitor since it was so far from the burn pot. I found that in the ignitor tube there are 4 allen head screws that keep the ignitor from goig all the way to the burnt pot. I am going to assume this was engineered this way. ( I tend to overthink things)
Anyway my question is the ignitor is at least 3 inches from the burn pot. being new to the whole pellet stove program I am wondering if this is normal. I just cant see hot air in the tube lighting the pot. BTW there is no induction on the back of the igniotr tube to force air down the tube so how does this work?
The ignitor is about 5-6" long and hangs out the back of the tube as you can see in the pic.
My original question and pic can be seen here.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/bosca-spirit-500-ignitor.105229/

Opinions? click on pic for better view

Attachments

• bosca ignitor.jpg
    bosca ignitor.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 397
It might be a reaplcement ignitor, hence longer than the original, which doesn't matter. The hot air will be drawn down the tube by the slight vacuum in the burn chamber. Trust us, the hot air can and will ignite the pellets.

The four set screws may not be meant to set the depth of the ignitor; they may be used to hold the ignitor in place in the center of the tube. As for longitudinal location, a service manual or a look at another stove would help you.

The air flow comes from the combustion blower sucking it past the igniter.

The igniter is inside a tube with a small space around it.

The air flowing past the igniter will exceed the ignition point of wood. If you make the mistake of putting a part of your hand infront of that igniter you'll be severely burned.

I can't speak as to weather the igniter is properly positioned in the tube, you haven't provided enough information.

Did you ever get this working? My 700 has a similar setup and I can't figure out what's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.