Bought a ton of Northeast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bugize

Aug 26, 2006
Skowhegan,Maine
Yesterday i bought a ton of the pellets made in Ashland....tried a few bags when i picked up some Spruce Pointes and i liked them!
The Spruce Pointes heated and burnt well but seemed to have alot of just pure sawdust in each bag,one bag must have had 2 full coffee cups,i wasnt happy with that.
It seems to plug my hopper and not let the pellets slide down...when it get half empty,i even tried a silicone spray.
The Northeast pellets are suppose to be about the same btu's at only 233$ per ton.

bugize said:
Yesterday i bought a ton of the pellets made in Ashland....tried a few bags when i picked up some Spruce Pointes and i liked them!
The Spruce Pointes heated and burnt well but seemed to have alot of just pure sawdust in each bag,one bag must have had 2 full coffee cups,i wasnt happy with that.
It seems to plug my hopper and not let the pellets slide down...when it get half empty,i even tried a silicone spray.
The Northeast pellets are suppose to be about the same btu's at only 233$ per ton.

I'm trying the Spruce next.. I just finished up with Linigetics and although the heat was amazing they had the most sawdust by far of any of the others I have tried.

I bought a ton of independence...ok heat,alot of ash...but also alot of sawdust.
I found the Spruce Pointes to be just as bad with the sawdust...less ash,more heat.

bugize said:
I bought a ton of independence...ok heat,alot of ash...but also alot of sawdust.
I found the Spruce Pointes to be just as bad with the sawdust...less ash,more heat.

Ok. I'm new to this.. I've only had the stove for a week. How bad is sawdust in a bag? Should I sacrifice more heat and less ash for sawdust in the bag? Or should I get less sawdust even thought it may put out more heat and produce less ash? I'm not sure what is better to look for in a pellet.

For me,the sawdust seemed to be sticking on the sides of my hopper,thus resulting in my pellets not sliding down....after 6-8 hrs,this was a problem.
Itt burns ok...just gunked up my hopper...i have found most have a half a cup or so per bag....except for Independence and Spruce Pointe...have considerably more....but the Spruce Points do throw the heat,as does the Northeast....except with less pure sawdust.

bugize said:

Where did you find the Northeast for $233/ton???

Springbrook ice and fuel.....they have the Spruce pointes for i think 314$ for 1.2 ton ( 60 bags )...they are in Waterville

Status
Not open for further replies.