Bought a US Stove 4840 Wall Mount on sale for $1189.99 at Ace Hardware

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoodleWamer

Jan 21, 2016
Eastern Washington
For anybody on the fence thinking about getting a US Stove 4840 Wall Mount Pellet Stove, Ace Hardware has the stove for $1189.99 on line. Sale is on until the 9th of Feb.I think this is a closeout for end of year as there was only one available in my area.

I bought one for my small shop that is only about 800 sq ft. This stove has the lowest BTU output that I could find as I normally will only heat 400-500 sq ft of the shop when I'm out there brewing beer.
Will update more after I get it installed.

Reactions: Arti
Directions (such as they are) called for an outside burn before installing to burn off oils and volatiles left over from manufacturing. I kind of did that from an open doorway. There was a LOT of smoke and stink everywhere, glad the stove was in the doorway and I had the other doors open for cross ventilation. (They must not wanted it to rust on the way over from China ) After about 15 min, the smoke and smell was gone. Took 2 ignition sequences to fill the auger and get the burn pot full enough to ignite.

So far, it seems like an OK stove. No cast iron, and even though the metal is not a heavy gauge, seems sturdy enough. The only thing I don't really like is the cleanout for the burn chamber being behind a hinged door with 2 wing nuts to remove before door will open. Pic is of the stove smoking from the first burn. It is on my lift cart in the doorway (promise to post more pics later).

Attachments

• 4840 first burn.jpg
    4840 first burn.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,035
I heard of the window mount but not the wall mount... is this the same as the window unit?

Hello
It is a good improvement over the window mount stove. The window mount venting was not safe enough for the general public and the part that wears out in the fire box is a replaceable part now.
That is a real space saver for a small shop!
Good Luck
Please show pics after the install?

Last edited:
Reactions: PoodleWamer
I had the window mount and loved it. Unfortunately it wasn't enough btu and I sold it. Kind of wish I had held on to it and I'm surprised I didn't as I am quite the hoarder.....must have had a momentary lapse of sanity or vice versa...

The manual doesn't state min or max. but fitting the pipes together, it looks like it will go through a 4 in to maybe 10 in wall. The only exhaust length measurement in instructions shows 6 in clearance from wall and one for final exhaust pipe of 10.5 in. The first pic is of the pipes laid out with tape measure, the two long pieces are an adjustable slip fit connection. The second is the "Venting Installation" page (manual was crumpled up from being in stove, but pic is still legible). The third pic is the following page in manual, "Venting Installation/Assembly".

Attachments

• 4840 duravent.jpg
    4840 duravent.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 908
  • 4840 install clearences.jpg
    4840 install clearences.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 724
  • 4840 instal instruct.jpg
    4840 instal instruct.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 699
The manual doesn't state min or max. but fitting the pipes together, it looks like it will go through a 4 in to maybe 10 in wall. The only exhaust length measurement in instructions shows 6 in clearance from wall and one for final exhaust pipe of 10.5 in. The first pic is of the pipes laid out with tape measure, the two long pieces are an adjustable slip fit connection. The second is the "Venting Installation" page (manual was crumpled up from being in stove, but pic is still legible). The third pic is the following page in manual, "Venting Installation/Assembly".
Thanks, I also had looked at USSC website and the manual, but it had nothing. I will send them an email. I'm thinking this would be great in my basement. I would have to build a steel frame away from the wall and t the pipe and then up and out. Interesting also in the manual it states what NOT to burn, no mention of corn although it's not advertised as multi-fuel.

The window mount units were recalled, and US Stove had a refund going for anybody that turned the units back in.

The 4840 Wall Mount is quite a bit bigger and they made several changes to make it safer from what I understand. There is a 3 year warranty on the the firepot, heat exchanger, door. Gaskets, glass, cabinet, circuit board have a one year warranty.

Awesome. Glad to hear some info on this item. I hope it all goes as planned. I will watch for more info from you. Harbor freight lift cart? I have one too.

Yup, one of the few things done right by Harbor Freight. Bought it to move my 10 gal fermenters (old beer kegs) into the fermentation chamber (upright freezer with digital temp controller). When I went to electric brew system, also went from 5 gal to 10 gal.

Lift cart really made moving the Sabrina into place a single person task, and it will make lifting and positioning the 4840 onto the wall mount bracket very easy too.

The stove is hung on the wall. I had to shorten some shelves to get clearances and mount on the wall plate on studs. Only need 11 inches above stove (I have 15 in) and 8 in below (I have 12). My walls are 6 in, had plenty of exhaust pipe. Need to make a hearth too. FYI- The fans are much louder compared to the Sabrina.

Attachments

• tmp_2550-0215161706b1670437167.jpg
    tmp_2550-0215161706b1670437167.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,625
  • tmp_2550-0215161702-12121051.jpg
    tmp_2550-0215161702-12121051.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 791
Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
Did the first cleaning after running on levels 3-5 for the last 4 days. Glass was about 60% opaque/blacked out. Firepot cleaned x2, some carbon deposit and small clinkers, but not to bad. Chamber directly below firepot had some ash. Opened the cleanout door and found enough ash in last baffle on left that might have slowed the exhaust flow ( see pic where most out the ash was cleaned out already) .

Attachments

• tmp_9223-0217161718a472007385.jpg
    tmp_9223-0217161718a472007385.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 787
Reactions: FirepotPete
how well did it heat

My shop is about 850 sq ft and well insulated 6 in exterior walls. The person who built it made it to use as a music studio so all interior walls are 4 in and well insulated too. Since I started using the stove, the outside temps have averaged between 32 at night and up to 50 days. The stove keeps the whole shop at 68-70 on level 4 (out of 5) easily. I am not sure it can keep the whole shop that warm if it was close to zero. FYI- I have been using a small oil filled electric heater to keep the stove room by itself at 45-50 degrees during winter and it will only get it up to 55 if I turn it full on.

My plan is to use the stove to heat the shop, excluding the other big room or about 580 sq ft maximum and I think it will do that easily.

Attachments

• Shop floorplan.jpg
    Shop floorplan.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 625
Status
Not open for further replies.