Bought house with a Earth Stove FP60 in it, how on Earth do I operate it and ignite it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oldhousenewstove

Feb 27, 2022
Oregon
0CFA7943-5B33-4CB7-B905-E8FE8C611F3E.jpeg
Hello there. First post here. So the house I bought has one of these installed, with the cabinet. I also have the very old instruction book. I tried to follow them and it just blows cold air and nothing ignited. The old owners left a bottle of starting fluid next to it so I’m going to assume they used that to assist it’s ignition. Does anyone have any experience with this model? I would love to open it up to clean out the box but can’t find how to open the main door, I can maybe take some screws off the front but surely there is an easier way to do this, I’m also unsure if the screws would even give me access.

It’s bloody cold here and would love to start using it. Please and help and advice would be amazing! Thanks for listening.

First Have you read the manual?
If not do so it will tell you how to run the appliance.
The first thing to do is clean the stove as per the manual
If the owner left starting fluid it will not have an igniter
Does it have pellets in the hopper?
When you start it does it drop pellets into the burn pot?
I might suggest that you find someone with a pellet stove
to come and look at what you have anyone who has had a
pellet stove a few years should be able (after a little reading)
explain your stove and how it works
Good Luck

Reactions: Oldhousenewstove
First Have you read the manual?
If not do so it will tell you how to run the appliance.
The first thing to do is clean the stove as per the manual
If the owner left starting fluid it will not have an igniter
Does it have pellets in the hopper?
When you start it does it drop pellets into the burn pot?
I might suggest that you find someone with a pellet stove
to come and look at what you have anyone who has had a
pellet stove a few years should be able (after a little reading)
explain your stove and how it works
Good Luck
Thanks for the reply. I have read through it and followed the instructions but it only blows cold air and nothing is ignited. There are pellets present in the hopper, and unburnt pellets in the pot. The manual says to open the door to clean it but gives no indication to where the door is. It’s rather frustrating.

There has to be some kind of door in the front that opens to start
the fire and clean ash from the stove
You will not get heat until you get the pellets to ignite
So you have to be able to open the front of the unit somehow
Hidden latch?

Maybe there is supposed to be special tool with handle listed in the manual to open the door ??

There has to be some kind of door in the front that opens to start
the fire and clean ash from the stove
You will not get heat until you get the pellets to ignite
So you have to be able to open the front of the unit somehow
Hidden latch?
I’ll give the unit a great look over tonight. In my cursory look I could only see some screws holding the glass on. I’d really hope that’s not the door! Fingers crossed on the hidden latch.

Some wood stoves had separate handles like this.

handle.jpg

with the bottle of ignitor fluid im betting the ignitor has went bad and they were lighting it with the fluid and a lighter.. Im doing the same this year since my ignitor went out and its such a pain to change out im waiting till i shut it down for the season before i change it.

Some wood stoves had separate handles like this.

View attachment 293013
I finally figured out the door! It had a couple of L latches on the door and you just had to pick up and remove the whole glass door. Kinda annoying but I got it!

I lit it and it started well and augered pellets for start up but after that it didn’t seem to auger any more to keep itself going. Any ideas? Deep clean perhaps?

with the bottle of ignitor fluid im betting the ignitor has went bad and they were lighting it with the fluid and a lighter.. Im doing the same this year since my ignitor went out and its such a pain to change out im waiting till i shut it down for the season before i change it.
I had a good read through the book, I do believe it doesn’t even have an ignition set up. It recommends a low volatile fuel for start up. Good luck on yours!

Hi everyone! I got the door figured out. Thanks to all your help.

One more question though. On start up the auger worked fine and fed pellets for 12 mins in accordance with the instructions. After that the draft fan and burner fan came on as it’s it supposed to but the auger did not auger any more pellets. It is supposed to run 1 min out of 4mins on low. It did not do that. What would be the cause? I do need to deep clean it. Maybe that would help

The combustion fan should start as soon as you hit the start button
The door must be closed !! It sounds like whatever they use as proof of fire
is not working. A deep cleaning may be in order and most likely is.
After12 to 15 min. the stove is saying no fire I can shut down because the
proof of fire sensor is not hot enough. Ash is an excellent insulator.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Fire starter gel is what I use. Other members heren may use other products. The combustion/exhaust fan should come on immediately, light the pellets, close door, and if fire continues & hot enough it should self feed pellets ..then room blower ..Is usually the sequence...Not much info for this stove on the web...

Several things,some have been mentioned.
I find it hard to believe,but possible, that the stove glass/door has to be lifted off to light.Pictures,please.
There should not be an igniter in that stove,it is manual light, near as I can find out
Not sure owner understands the operation, that he has to manually light a fire, and might not under stand operations of the control board. There were several,I seem to recall. Post a picture of it. I am not going to buy a manual for such an old rare stove, but if you copied and posted the manual here,you could get lots more help,from me and others. Yes, it would be legal.
I'm pretty sure that is an old "positive pressure" stove, and you may want to rethink even using it. However if you do, always be around it, never leave it unattended.
Good luck.