Bought my first skid today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You can always put on over the tire tracks or tire chains if you're having issues getting stuck. Bonus for the over the tire tracks are that they add a significant amount of weight down low, which makes it harder to tip.

Reactions: WiscWoody
You can always put on over the tire tracks or tire chains if you're having issues getting stuck. Bonus for the over the tire tracks are that they add a significant amount of weight down low, which makes it harder to tip.

Huge drawback is axle bearing wear. Replace those on a bobcat at 1200 labor a couple times and you could have bought a tracked machine.

Huge drawback is axle bearing wear. Replace those on a bobcat at 1200 labor a couple times and you could have bought a tracked machine.
Never heard of axle bearings being a weak spot on skid steers.
I have never heard of anyone having a axle bearing go bad,Hydrolic pumps yes but that's all i ever hear that goes bad.

Yeah I was going to do some research on the over-the-tire tracks and see if they’re any good. I watched this YouTube video and it looks like they work but I don’t think I’d get into this kind of mud with my skid...

https://binged.it/2AAwBrI

Last edited:
I have never heard of anyone having a axle bearing go bad,Hydrolic pumps yes but that's all i ever hear that goes bad.
I sure hope the wheel motors never go out since I see they run around 4 grand each for new ones ...:oops:

Last edited:
You will be fine with over the tire tracks. A friend of mine has a Bob Cat with those & the only problem he has is with an occasional flat tire. He runs it all over the cattle lots,
ditches mowing & moving 2000# bales of hay.

Most companies that run the steel over wheel tracks can plan on replacing those bearings every 500hrs or so.

Good thing at that price but I most likely won’t have to worry about them going out with the low hours on the skid I bought and I probably won’t put s ton of hours on it.

Remains will run you 1100-1200. The left one is easy to replace the right one will teach you new words.

Reactions: Ashful
Very Nice Woody!

You moving?

Very Nice Woody!

You moving?
Yup, just down the highway a few miles past where your grandparents lived to a place I can build a large metal shed and pay less taxes as I’ll be off the lake. Just one more week until the big move and a friend has borrowed me his 20x7 enclosed trailer so I can get a jump on getting stuff out of the house.

Last edited:
Yup, just down the highway a few miles past where your grandparents lived to a place I can build a large metal shed and pay less taxes as I’ll be off the lake. Just one more week until the big move and a friend has borrowed me his 20x7 enclosed trailer so I can get a jump on getting stuff out of the house.

Barber lake? Big or little?