Bought new house (1970's)... Chimney/Creosote issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was hoping you would chime in Bholler.

I'll point out that Bholler has far more experience than I, so I'd heed those words of caution.

To the OP if you do get local quotes/opinions. It'd be appreciated if you update the thread with them.

Will do! It sounds like I may end up waiting until spring to gain safe access to the roof since this will not be a small job. Just for my knowledge, looking through the cleanout, it appears that there is roughly a 0.5 - 1" air gap around the first flue tile to the concrete block (at least the 3 sides I can inspect - left/right/front). Is this a good sign that the tiles were not mortared in?

Considering the cost of re building a chimney, including busting out the liner and installing new liner , most likely better off to demo the whole thing right down to the basement floor - 7x7 broken out is going to be very marginal for a 6" insulated liner. Been down this road about 15 years ago. part of my difficulty was the city ordinances saying everything has to look the same as it was ( idiots) so 7 grand later it is a usable flue but really only for non solid fuel applications , had a stove on it (basement) and it was getting just too hot with wood stove ( epa type) 6" flex liner vermiculite poured around it- not knowing what kind of clearance around the cement block may or may not be there at the pass through areas or inside the walls dictated a different approach. The exterior brick and mortar had deteriorated and was leaking water into basement which of course also meant that there were problems with clay tile liner as well. Additionally due to the water seepage at the roof additional repair to the roofing and re shingling a portion in that area was also required. My furnace and hot water heater vent out the side wall so at present there is nothing on the assembly. About the only thing it would maybe useful for is a pellet stove as a class B pipe in theory could be run up that 6".
If i remember correctly the grey brick that supports the clay flue liner needs a 2" clearance all around to combustibles to be to code for solid fuel items. at my place I can't say for sure that that exists.

My 6 inch insulated flex liner measured 7 1/4 inches OD.
Will you be using a wood stove in the living space upstairs? I would not have a wood stove in the basement unless you are staying down there a lot.

7x7 broken out is going to be very marginal for a 6" insulated liner.
not at all with the tiles broken out there is room for 7" insulated so plenty of room for a 6".
If i remember correctly the grey brick that supports the clay flue liner needs a 2" clearance all around to combustibles to be to code for solid fuel items. at my place I can't say for sure that that exists.
that is for an internal chimney external ones need 1" but an insulated liner makes that requirement 0.

My 6 inch insulated flex liner measured 7 1/4 inches OD.
Will you be using a wood stove in the living space upstairs? I would not have a wood stove in the basement unless you are staying down there a lot.

The other half of the basement is finished off and the side with the woodstove is a storage / workshop area. This set up works great for me as I can keep the "dirty" wood stove contained to the unfinished side and when it's running, I leave the finished/unfinished door open. The previous owner also had static vents installed in the ceiling above. I have a couple calls and emails in with local chimney sweeps and masons, so we'll see what the experts have to say soon. If anyone has personal recommendations for the SECT region, please PM me.

What you have is called a slammer or some variation of. ...

As far as freestanding wood burning stoves go, this is a slammer, lol. Yup, Slammed right down on the driveway, lol. It would have slammed down on my toes if I got in the way.

slammer.JPG

Ugh tear in the eye for sure lol[emoji25]

Last edited:
It fell to the ground, from the loader bucket, when I was moving it.

Sorry for leaving you all hanging! It's been almost a year since my original post and I wanted to keep the community updated. As many of you recommended, the original chimney was not worth salvaging... so down it went! In its place I installed DuraVent DuraPlus Triple Wall Stove Pipe to the roof, but kept single wall in the basement for the radiant heat. I never thought in my lifetime I would be demoing a chimney, but the reward has been worth it. My wood stove has been drafting beautifully now. Thank you all for the support!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

Reactions: Ashful and bholler