Bought the Big E made by Breckwell...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes , I've been told that 3 1/2 tons to heat that area , which is really about 1100 sq ft , is alot. I have been told by people that they heat 2000 sq ft with 2 tons. Then when you start questioning them ,you find out that they also use a vent less heater ,and the forced air furness only runs at night. "And my gas bills are around $90.00 a month" they say. I never use any Natural gas , unless it gets real real cold for a long time . Then I will use the vent less in the basement. I think some people like to stretch the truth when it comes to how much it costs them to heat their homes . Any way , that is how much I use , and from what I've read on this forum , that is about average amount used for a whole heating season.

buildingmaint said:
Yes , I've been told that 3 1/2 tons to heat that area , which is really about 1100 sq ft , is alot. I have been told by people that they heat 2000 sq ft with 2 tons. Then when you start questioning them ,you find out that they also use a vent less heater ,and the forced air furness only runs at night. "And my gas bills are around $90.00 a month" they say. I never use any Natural gas , unless it gets real real cold for a long time . Then I will use the vent less in the basement. I think some people like to stretch the truth when it comes to how much it costs them to heat their homes . Any way , that is how much I use , and from what I've read on this forum , that is about average amount used for a whole heating season.

Well , 1100 sq ft is another story and 3.5 tons to heat it is believable. I think your original post read 600 sq ft and 200 additional on the second fl. That figure was what I was responding to.
I do agree with you and refuse to believe that anyone heats 2000 sq ft with only 2 tons and not use anything else. They have to be pretty cold in the winter or live in north Fl.

Well, it sounds like a lot for the footage but how is the insulation, are the windows and doors tight? It takes a lot to heat my place. I have good pella windows and good insulation. but I also don't have an attic and my main room is about 30' x40' and 35' tall. Lots of air to keep warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.