Bought wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodenlegs23

Dec 27, 2014
NJ
I bought a wood stove off someone today and wanted to know what everyone thought. It was a good buy as the price was right but am not sure what brand it is. It kind of looks like a very old jotul. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: davidmsem
Looks like a Jotul F118. Nice.

We need to see the front of the stove to be sure. Is there Norwegian writing over the door?

It could be a scandia, jotul knockoff.

Here is another photo. Not much different. Had a hard time reading the metal plate on the back. Will try to get clearer picture in the morning with more light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 338
It has a lot of surface rust on it but looked like it was in overall good sound condition Hoping to clean it up a bit before install.

I'm pretty sure the Jotul F118 has a big moose on the sides.

118 side.jpg F118.jpg

Not sure exactly how I will determine. When I searched for some information on whether it was a jotul or not the metal plate where all information would've been was too faded to read.

How about a pic of the front. Does it have baffles inside?

The F118CB has ribbed sides and a black bear in a circle in the middle.
f118CB.png
Not sure exactly how I will determine. When I searched for some information on whether it was a jotul or not the metal plate where all information would've been was too faded to read.
If the top front plate over the door is blank and doesn't have the Norwegian text it's a knockoff.

Here's a front pic of my old school 118. I have a side pic, but not on my phone.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419910954.924177.jpg

Yes, probably a Scandia from Taiwan.

The F118CB has ribbed sides and a black bear in a circle in the middle.
View attachment 148898

If the top front plate over the door is blank and doesn't have the Norwegian text it's a knockoff.
Is the base of the 118 the same size as a 102?

Do you mean the F602? The F118 is longer by about 6 or 8".

Yes, probably a Scandia from Taiwan.

Yeah so I found the "Taiwan" imprint on the back of the stove. Must be a scandia. Not sure if I am going to keep or not but do you have any suggestions for cleaning it up? Like I said it has a good deal of surface rust on it but am hoping to either clean it up with some CLR and a light brush or maybe paint it with some stove paint? What would you suggest?

Reactions: mass_burner
Yeah so I found the "Taiwan" imprint on the back of the stove. Must be a scandia. Not sure if I am going to keep or not but do you have any suggestions for cleaning it up? Like I said it has a good deal of surface rust on it but am hoping to either clean it up with some CLR and a light brush or maybe paint it with some stove paint? What would you suggest?
If you're not going to keep it, why bother? Lug it to the back yard and burn all that stuff you don't want to bring in the house and do some cooking on top at the same time, dutch oven with some hearty soup.

If you're not going to keep it, why bother? Lug it to the back yard and burn all that stuff you don't want to bring in the house and do some cooking on top at the same time, dutch oven with some hearty soup.

I like the idea haha But I still might end up using the stove or selling it. I think I want to just buy a Jotul, but I am not sure yet. Let me know if you have any suggestions for cleaning it up.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.