Brand new Harman P68 squeak...grrr

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigeclipse

Feb 8, 2017
NY
Our brand new harman only used one day now squeaks when the auger feeds. What the heck? I thought harman were like top of the line. Dealer is closed now. I will call them tomorrow. Until then...anyone have any ideas? Again this stove has been used for one day so I can't imagine it being due to carbon build up but maybe it is?

Could be carbon build up at exit of auger tube but i doubt it..quick scrape with screwdriver will remove that. Auger rubbing on carbon definirely makes an eery sound on my Harman, but easy to address.

Could also be feeder mechanism but let dealer fix that.

Reactions: bags
Did you hear any pops or chomps too? Is this squeak a constant?

Reason being is that you will hear some strange to you new sounds that can be alarming. Most are nothing to worry about. I remember listening for weird sounds in the beginning as well or noticing things that sounded off kilter. A big one was where a pellet gets caught in the slide gate and you will hear a Grrrrrr ..... POP. This is where the slide gate closes cutting off pellet feed and cuts pellets in two.

Just keep running it and report back. Keep in mind pellet stoves and their many mechanisms and moving parts will make some noise. Some can take awhile to get used to but then you pay no attention.I doubt it's carbon build up if the new stove has only ran 24 hours. Another thing it could possibly be passing maybe some small metal shaving or piece of slag from welding. Can you describe this squeak better or the noises you are hearing?

Hopefully you don't have an issue but if you feel better get the dealer to come and listen to it run. Things can and do happen. Harmans are damn good stoves and bullet proof. You might have just experienced a hiccup or what not. I've have not heard of many problems with Harmans at all on newly installed stoves. Most run for many years before anything wears out. Defects are possible but....... they seem to be very obscure with Harman.

Did you hear any pops or chomps too? Is this squeak a constant?

Reason being is that you will hear some strange to you new sounds that can be alarming. Most are nothing to worry about. I remember listening for weird sounds in the beginning as well or noticing things that sounded off kilter. A big one was where a pellet gets caught in the slide gate and you will hear a Grrrrrr ..... POP. This is where the slide gate closes cutting off pellet feed and cuts pellets in two.

Just keep running it and report back. Keep in mind pellet stoves and their many mechanisms and moving parts will make some noise. Some can take awhile to get used to but then you pay no attention.I doubt it's carbon build up if the new stove has only ran 24 hours. Another thing it could possibly be passing maybe some small metal shaving or piece of slag from welding. Can you describe this squeak better or the noises you are hearing?

Hopefully you don't have an issue but if you feel better get the dealer to come and listen to it run. Things can and do happen. Harmans are damn good stoves and bullet proof. You might have just experienced a hiccup or what not. I've have not heard of many problems with Harmans at all on newly installed stoves. Most run for many years before anything wears out. Defects are possible but....... they seem to be very obscure with Harman.
The squeak has dissappeared which is good. It was a faint squeak every time it fed pellets. It was almost like when the auger would turn it was have this slight squeak. It was happening last night every time the auger turned but the squeak itself was inconsistent as sometimes it was louder than others. This squeak is also nowhere near that dreaded harman squeal you can hear on YouTube which was in some threads I have read. I think it was either slight carbon build up OR maybe the metal parts of the auger slightly touching and have since "worn" in over night? Anyways it has stopped now. I will keep an ear on it.

The squeak has dissappeared which is good. It was a faint squeak every time it fed pellets. It was almost like when the auger would turn it was have this slight squeak. It was happening last night every time the auger turned but the squeak itself was inconsistent as sometimes it was louder than others. This squeak is also nowhere near that dreaded harman squeal you can hear on YouTube which was in some threads I have read. I think it was either slight carbon build up OR maybe the metal parts of the auger slightly touching and have since "worn" in over night? Anyways it has stopped now. I will keep an ear on it.

If I remember the Harman squeal posts it seems most were related to a harmonic with the auger? I think some people were modifying the fins to reduce the vibrations?

Run the stove hard for a day, burn it in. See if the squeals, whistles and pops go away.

When my Harman was new I developed a "squeak" . The auger motor was replaced under warranty. I've had the "squeal", usually goes away with hot burn.