Brass Bushing on Whitfield Auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is his picture, the Butkus person. The motor armature has dropped back a little, disengaging the drive end from the driven gear. Mine did this same thing. If you can move this shaft a little, you may have the same problem. This shaft will spin while the motor is energized, but no movement on the output side. The fiber washer (most hardware stores have hundreds of choices for small money) would go right below the "Blue" spacre in the second photo. The fix is super easy. The challenge is getting to the gearbox, but now you know what it should look like.

Good luck.

View attachment 84010 View attachment 84011
how thick of a washer do I get? Thankyou all for the info.

I've been to our hardware stores here in Lake Isabella (2) and they have no idea of what I am talking about when I say a fabric washer. I told them I can't use metal because of shorting out motor but can I use a neopene washer (Its black looks like rubber) with a washer underneath it to support it? Thank you and forgive me, I'm a blond. lol

This is his picture, the Butkus person. The motor armature has dropped back a little, disengaging the drive end from the driven gear. Mine did this same thing. If you can move this shaft a little, you may have the same problem. This shaft will spin while the motor is energized, but no movement on the output side. The fiber washer (most hardware stores have hundreds of choices for small money) would go right below the "Blue" spacre in the second photo. The fix is super easy. The challenge is getting to the gearbox, but now you know what it should look like.

Good luck.

View attachment 84010 View attachment 84011
Why in the picture is it blue?

Sandra, which specific model of Whitfield do you have?

I think the point of the picture is to show the space that needs filled, next to the blue. I don't know if the neoprene would work or not, as it might be a little "grabby". Fiber washers are commonly used as drain plug gaskets and insulators.

You'll have to forgive me, as its been over ten years since I did this, and I was in my 20's then so I'm sure my memory isn't as clear as it should be. However, randomly I found these links to photos and this was my exact problem. Really, you just need something to fill that space so the center doesn't drop back in the motor housing. Plastics would work fine I'm sure.

This is all assuming you have verified that this is in fact your problem.

Good luck.

I think the point of the picture is to show the space that needs filled, next to the blue. I don't know if the neoprene would work or not, as it might be a little "grabby". Fiber washers are commonly used as drain plug gaskets and insulators.

You'll have to forgive me, as its been over ten years since I did this, and I was in my 20's then so I'm sure my memory isn't as clear as it should be. However, randomly I found these links to photos and this was my exact problem. Really, you just need something to fill that space so the center doesn't drop back in the motor housing. Plastics would work fine I'm sure.

This is all assuming you have verified that this is in fact your problem.

Good luck.
Thank you I have a Whitfield Quest. I can put anything in thatr space as ong as it is not metal. Correct? I mentioned neopene washer because the new whitfield they want u to get is neopene I think. And no. I am not sure but if this doesn't work, next is checking the gears. I just figured this was cheaper than buying a new motor if I don't need one. Thanks again Sandy

S

...they have no idea of what I am talking about when I say a fabric washer....
Fiber washer, not fabric washer. Try asking for a fiber washer. Decent H/W store should have an assortment of sizes of fiber washers.

Status
Not open for further replies.