Breaking flue tiles- mortared into chimney block

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2015
Salem, NY
My primary flue had the clay liners stacked with minimal mortar between them and the concrete chimney block. I managed to lift out 4 sections with a stick and a rope before starting to break the lower ones. I was able to clear about 16 feet to a little below the thimble using a 20 lb pry bar fastened in the end of a piece of EMT conduit.

The second flue is older and built differently. The tiles have a clay veneer with a grey core, so when you look at the broken edges it looks like a sandwich with brown clay on the outside and some sort of grey cement in the middle. These tiles are not loose, and seem to be mortared/cemented into the chimney block. They are however very crooked leaving sideways steps of 1/2" or more at the seams. The tiles are older but far more durable and resistant to impact. The only option for lining it as-is will be a 5.5" or maybe a 6" squared to 5.5" with no blanket.

Will a professional with a tile breaker be able to get the liner out, or will the fact that it's mortared in make it impossible?
I don't expect to finish this second flue, but I'm trying to lay the groundwork before I add a few blocks and pour a crown. My hope is to leave a hole in the crown and cap it with sheet metal, so that when I get the stove and SS liner in the next couple years it will be a quick drop in install. Right now I have fairly easy access, but once I bring it up to standard height it may require scaffolding etc.
I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I don't have exact dimensions but it's roughly 23-25'. I have a sample of the 5.5" liner and lowered it down on a rope without any trouble, but when I wrapped it with a layer of 1/4" foam and some tape to hold it in place it wouldn't go. I also tried a paint can which someone here suggested as a gauge for 6" liner and it also stopped at the first or second joint (2-4' down).

Dan,
A 5.5" Flex liner is 5.75" on the outside, but the Tee body that is used is the same size as a 6" liner and that Tee Body dimension is about 6.5" on the outside., So even a 5.5" liner with the Tee may not fit through your flue.

Dan,
A 5.5" Flex liner is 5.75" on the outside, but the Tee body that is used is the same size as a 6" liner and that Tee Body dimension is about 6.5" on the outside., So even a 5.5" liner with the Tee may not fit through your flue.
Ok, I had been wondering about the dimensions of the tee.
Any insight on whether a proper tile breaker will be able to detach the tile which is mortared/cemented in?

They do not typically make a 5.5" TEE with a 5.5" Tee Snout, although custom parts are always available and a 5.5" reducer/increaser. You should contact the stove manufacture and see what their thoughts are on reducing the liner to a 5.5" first. That still does not give you room for insulation.

Will a professional with a tile breaker be able to get the liner out, or will the fact that it's mortared in make it impossible?
Yes we can get them out the tile breaker does not always work if they are really mortared in. In those cases we have an air chisel on rods or a bracket to hold a grinder on rods to cut and chip them out. It is a real pain but there are times it needs to be done.

Yes we can get them out the tile breaker does not always work if they are really mortared in. In those cases we have an air chisel on rods or a bracket to hold a grinder on rods to cut and chip them out. It is a real pain but there are times it needs to be done.

So, it sounds like removing the tiles will be a real challenge and since this job started with lining the other flue I need to adjust my focus. I'll try to leave access for the heavy machinery if it's needed, but will likely lean towards some kind of 5.5" or square liner. Given the budget combined with a good gas furnace and woodstove on the first floor this basement stove is lower on the priority list.

I'm going to go ahead with adding a couple blocks and pouring a crown, leaving a hole at least the size of the tiles. Then cap it with sheet metal and silicone. Unless there are other ideas.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.