Breaking in the Madison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michael Sean

Jul 3, 2017
Kentucky
Woke up this morning to a pretty cool house due to a cold front coming through, and I thought to myself why not start breaking in the new stove. So I got some scrap pine together from projects over the summer that I've been saving for kindling and lit her up.

Man I miss how good a fire feels when your cold. Now the only issue I'm having is I need more cold weather so I can start enjoying the fire everyday.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
My start of season break in fire is the pile of pistachio nut shells that have accumulated over the summer.

This was the first of the three break in fires to get the paint cured on it, im trying to get all that smell burnt off by the time our our baby girl is born in September. It's been warm here with the exception of this morning.

Next fire take the stove top up to 500F. That will take at least 4-5 decent sized splits. Open windows and put a fan in one window blowing out to suck out the fumes.

Last edited:
This was the first of the three break in fires to get the paint cured on it, im trying to get all that smell burnt off by the time our our baby girl is born in September. It's been warm here with the exception of this morning.

Hopefully the mother is not breathing the curing paint fumes. As you know, any toxins she absorbs go straight through the placenta. And I strongly believe that the impacts have the most consequence at the earliest stages of development (vs. after birth).

Open windows and put a fan in one blowing out to suck out the fumes.

I think it might be more effective to put a fan in a window in a room far from the stove blowing inward. Another fan could be placed by the stove exhausting air also.

Hopefully the mother is not breathing the curing paint fumes. As you know, any toxins she absorbs go straight through the placenta. And I strongly believe that the impacts have the most consequence at the earliest stages of development (vs. after birth).
No my wife wasn't home when I did the break if fire.

Got a couple of pictures from the second break in fire this morning.
IMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jetsam
Looking good. How hot did the stove top get?

Looking good. How hot did the stove top get?
It got right up to 500 and i cut down the air and it held there for a pretty good while. Had all the windows and doors open to air out the house. I loaded the stove with some small splits and some small rounds about maybe a 1/3 full and 6 hours laters there's still a nice bed of coals

The paint is probably about 90% fully baked then. If you do another fire take it up to 600-650F and it'll be done.