Breaking Rocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing what you can buy on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Dexpan-Controlled-Demolition-Excavating-Alternative/dp/B000BRPHQ4

I used to use something called Brightstar? but I cant locate it with quick search.

Old timers used to drill the holes, fill them with water and wait for a really cold night. A lot of the really old logging roads that are used for hiking trails will have boulders that had thier top split off. I expect most of the time they used blasting powder.

I recently saw some photos of the results of this at this link https://plus.google.com/photos/113614445036278454829/albums/5760750473132962129?banner=pwa

By the way check out the later pages of this photo album and check out the interesting natural rock formations ( and the fools who climb them :) !)

We don't have to deal with too many rocks in these parts, but had a nasty one on a landscape job once....right where we wanted to put a retaining wall. The only tools we had available were a Stihl concrete saw a sledge.

We cut the rock as deep as we could go about 4" from the edge...and gave it a couple whacks to slab off some...and repeat...and repeat...and repeat. It took a lot of cutting, but eventually we got enough of the rock out of the way. Not saying this is the best way, but it did work. I'm not sure what type of rock this was but it was kind soft (as far as rock goes)...def not granite....about the same hardness as the pavers we cut with it...not sure if it would be to hard on it cutting "real rock"...so be advised.

If you are just trying to get the rock below grade this might let you take the top off the rock and leave the rest lay.

The smaller electric or gas hammers work best on concrete slabs because there is enough "give" under the slab...makes for a little bit of a soft spot....I think they would have a hard time with compacted earth on all sides....but I've never tried it either.

Probably Bedford Limestone,very plentiful in most of your state,shipped to all states & several countries for over 150 yrs.

Probably Bedford Limestone,very plentiful in most of your state,shipped to all states & several countries for over 150 yrs.

Not bedford stone....although we are filthy with that a little south of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.