breckwell big e

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tviko

Nov 20, 2013
ct
Hi all,
New to pellett stoves this will be my first full season.

I purchased my breckwell big e last season and fired it up about 3 weeks ago. Just today I notices the exterior of the stove is very hot (to hot to touch for a few seconds) also the stack pipe (not sure of correct terminology) is very hot as well.

There also seems to be some sort of spooling sound coming from the combustion blower, however the stove is running fine otherwise.

Any ideas what this issues could be,
Thanks in advance.

I was hoping for some good response to your questions. I have one of these stoves and it runs just as you describe. The insulated stack is so hot to hot to touch bare handed, it just seems such a waist of heat. The stove has 13 heat exchanger tubes and in my opinion it should have 26 tubes someday not soon I,m going to fix this thing. Despite that I do like the stove it does heat a 2000 sq ft room rather well and cost much less than oil to run and it hold 2 1/2 bags so it will run for days.
John

The exhaust temp has to be above 200 degrees till the termination cap or creosote may form. The stove maker does not know if you will vent horizontal with a 24" vent or be a "basement wizard" with 15' horizontal and six elbows so they have to make it for the worst case situation and hope your LVL is under a 15 (not 15' but 15).

Eric

I would say that it being hot is normal, since it is, you know, creating fire for heat...

Today I just changed out the combustion blower motor (think I got a good price at local shop $207 tax and all for the whole "kit" as it says on the box) and that took care of the whining.

I cleaned the pipe going to the chimney no blockages, still the stove is too hot to touch I mean I have a blister on my arm from a burn.

This I don't think is normal. It was flashing a code 3 tried the jumping of the pof and high temp pof (connecting the two wires with a wire inbetween as it states in the troubleshooting sectuon of the manual) stove runs fine,even the without the jump stove ran fine.

All blowers augur ignitor all work the stove exterior is just to hot .
Also that was confirmed but 3 dealers I talked to as well they stated the exterior of the stove shouldn't be burn you skin hot.

Any other suggestions as to what it could be,
I don't really want to pay for a service call $175 just to show up at my door .

Thanks in advance guys

What part of the stove is hot? You can't touch my stove when it is running. I don't understand why they would say it should not be hot, unless they mean something like the top of the stove or the hopper lid or the back/rear sides. Those things should be somewhat hot. But the front and the sides of the firebox, you should not be able to touch those when there is a fire.

Yea bonsey the sides and front are to hot to touch, when i did have it running the top close near the hopper was hot as well. Also I forgot the combustion blower motor housing is to hot to touch as well.

I completely understand is a stove yes it makes heat but to give burn blisters when you touch it can't be right.

Also forgot to mention I burned roughly 3/4 of season last year and so far about 4 weeks this season with out the stove being this hot. Just thisweek the stove has been getting extremely hot. And I've been having the issues .

I dunno man. In my opinion, those parts should not be able to be touched if the stove is up to temp. The burn pot temps are probably upwards of 600 degrees. When I am running at level 3 or 4, I can point my temp gun at any of the outside burn cchamber and its at least 200-300.

tviko

I have a Big E as well and I have a magnetic therm, Rutland burn indicator attached to the side, same area your talking and running on #2 setting right now and it's reading 250 deg F and yes it's hot to the touch!

stove.jpg therm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the response guys I threw a magnetic thermometer just like you did onthe side ill see what it gets up to.

I've had the stove running for the past 2 days and no error codes so that's a good thing. I'll keep up with the post if anything changes

Status
Not open for further replies.