breckwell big e

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peTerG

Oct 8, 2018
wisconsin
Stove will not stay lit on any setting lower than max. The auger motor is spinning but the auger itself is not moving much, drops only enough to stay lit (thank god not cold here yet).
Thanks for any help

when is the last time you cleaned all the pellets out and vacuumed all the fines out of the auger? i find all the fines get built up on my big e and slows feed of pellets on my big e. i do mine once a month

Reactions: peTerG
it is at my hunting shack got a really thorough cleaning after last season was probably in June. Ran last weekend and no problems, but this past weekend this happened.

I will get the hopper/auger area again really well this coming weekend. This has never happened before and have probably had the stove for 7-8 years. only other issue was replacing the igniter a couple years ago.

surprising enough the auger does not move allot.. When i cleaned mine i pulled the cover off the auger inside the hopper. Also their is a setting for the low feed rates if you pull up a manual online. With the pellets i use i pull a cup or 2 of fines out of the hopper monthly..

Iv never tryed the hardwood in the big e... I read a few reviews that they would jamb up and break the auger

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

good to know maby ill try a bag or 2 of hardwood this year and see if its worth the additional expence

Check the hairpin that connects the auger shaft to the auger motor. It may have sheared and is only catching enough to keep just enough pellets to stay burning.