BRECKWELL BIG E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold the press, I am checking my crystal ball.............Hmmmmm seems a little foggy tonight, maybe the 6" of lake effect snow coming in. I tell you what my Harman's are starting to arrive at the Brookfield store. I have to do a little work and I will let you know what the better selling/quality stove wins the race. If people have not figured this out, I try not to powder coat things. I like to point fingers and make fun of stuff but that is beside the point.

Eric

I just got my Big E last week for $1280 at the local Sutherlands.

Altho I dont have dealer support (or the lack of), they will take the stove back if its not working properly. I had to take back a new Englander before I got this one because it wasnt heating anything, I ran it on 9 and 9 for 2 days with no heat even reaching across the room.

I wish they would rate these stoves more accurately. I have 2200 sq ft I'm trying to heat and the rating for this stove is 2200, but the BTU's dont add up. I would have to buy a 90K BTU furnace to heat the house according to the HVAC guys.

I will say that I havent had to run my furnace yet this year but I have had to run the stove higher than expected so pellet usage is up. Well see if its worth it. I may have to fix and run my old stove up stairs but then I'm using pellets in it also, so???

Ran my Big E all night. I have a 1200 sq. ft. house. Outside temperature 19 degrees, inside 58 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.........This just ain't cuttin' it!

mdelmonte said:
Ran my Big E all night. I have a 1200 sq. ft. house. Outside temperature 19 degrees, inside 58 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.........This just ain't cuttin' it!

Where is it in the house?? I can keep my open unfinished cellar at 68 to 70 on #4. the bed rooms and bathrooms floors are toasty warm.the other side of the house would be alot cooler.this year i installed a f400 wood stove,this solved the problem.i was going to put a pellet insert in but with the pellet shortage i decided on wood.

It's right in the middle - have an open floor living, dining room, kitchen. I've burned with wood for many years, moved into this much smaller house figuring it would be easy to heat with a pellet stove that is rated to heat 2200 sq ft, and now am longing for my wood stove.

mdelmonte said:
It's right in the middle - have an open floor living, dining room, kitchen. I've burned with wood for many years, moved into this much smaller house figuring it would be easy to heat with a pellet stove that is rated to heat 2200 sq ft, and now am longing for my wood stove.

Do you have it on #4

mdelmonte said:
It was on 4 all night with the pellet feed on 1.

My Big E is in the living room which is good size (roughly 24'x14'). I leave it on manual "2" overnight and that room stays at 64. It was 20 outside last night

mdelmonte said:
It was on 4 all night with the pellet feed on 1.

No no no no no
If lights 1 and 4 are on you are running it at level #1 with a sub setting of 4. This is less than level #2
you are burning over 1 lb an hour which is between 8,300 btu and 9000 btu.

Read your manual and speak to your dealer.......sorry on the dealer comment, no I am not.

Call me

Eric
330-876-0200

Eric is correct - that is your trim setting. You are running on "1"

No, my trim setting is at 1 and I'm running it on level 4. I run it on trim 1 & 4 and run level 4 in the daytime. I don't care if it's a little cooler at night. But I do want it to be more than 58 degrees in the house.

Before my gas burning stove made it to the house, I was a big proponent of online purchase for the thing. Gas stove- what could go wrong - right???

After I installed the stove...Not so much.

After what I learned on that experience, I would NEVER order a pellet stove online. You need someone local to yell at. I order plenty of high tech stuff online, but I would buy a pellet stove local. But that's just me. (now)_

mdelmonte said:
No, my trim setting is at 1 and I'm running it on level 4. I run it on trim 1 & 4 and run level 4 in the daytime. I don't care if it's a little cooler at night. But I do want it to be more than 58 degrees in the house.

You are backwards in how you are reading this.
If two lights are on, you are on level #1 and sub setting #4

If you were running this on level #4 on #4 light will be lite.

Please call me and I will explain this.

Eric
330-876-0200

Yes, you can only adjust the trim setting when you're on level one. So I adjust the trim setting so that both the #1 & #4 lights are on, then I set my stove on #4.

RESET TRIM
Different size and quality pellet fuel may require adjustment of the “1” feed setting on the Heat Level
Advance bar graph. This is usually a one-time adjustment based on the fuel you are using. The
“RESET TRIM” button when adjusted will allow for 3 different feed rate settings for the #1 feed setting
only. To adjust simply push the “RESET TRIM” button while the stove is operating at setting “1” and
watch the bar graph.
· When the “1” & “3” lights are illuminated on the bar graph the low feed rate is at its “lowest” setting.
(Approx. 0.9 pounds per hour)
· When the “1” light is illuminated on the bar graph the low feed rate is at its “normal” setting.
· When the “1” & “4” lights are illuminated on the bar graph the low feed rate is at its “highest”
setting.
NOTE: When the stove is set on “1” the “reset trim” values will be shown on the Heat Level Advance
bar graph. For example if the Reset Trim is set to its lowest setting every time the stove is set to low the
“1” and “3” lights will be illuminated on the bar graph.

Heating level #2, #3, #4, and #5 have nothing to do with the reset trim button at all.

Level #1 is the onl;y level that the trim has any affect on.

Eric

As long as you know the trim level has nothing to do with running the stove on anyother heat setting than level #1.

Eric

I really think you need to install an outside air kit. You would be surprised at how much air is getting sucked out of your house and going up the exhaust pipe of the stove. If you've felt the aiflow coming out of the exhaust pipe of your stove (before it's warmed up that is, don't do it while it's hot - duh), that air has to come from somewhere. If you're sucking it out of your house, all your doing is sucking the warm air out of the room and sucking cold air in from all the cracks and crevices in the walls.

Just my .02. :)

mdelmonte said:
Yes, I do know that. But thank you for your help.

Can you show us a picture of the flame at its highest??

Status
Not open for further replies.