Breckwell BigE problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd Hackett

Nov 24, 2020
Libby, MT
Hi All!
Thought you might be interested in hoops I jumped. Bought 4 BigE's this fall. 2 work flawlessly, the other 2 had issues.

#1 - Would only light on occasion. Pellets were dropping, igniter was getting hot but no flame. Would shut down with a flashing level #3 ( I think ). After fussing for a few days I realized that the firepot looked funky and the burnpot was slightly lower. Comparing to the working others, the firepot looked to be at the wrong angle for it to sit level. Pulled the igniter and rotated it 180 degrees and put back. The stove has been working as it is supposed to for weeks now. Also note that this stove's combustion blower was not connected - either wire; they were hanging down in the case. Found that when I went to install the thermostat wires after removing it from the shipping pallet.

#2 - Would light and run 1 cycle with no errors. The 2nd cycle would throw error. On inspection I found that there were no pellets in the burnpot .. none. I cleaned out the hopper and checked that the auger was turning as I was holding down the lid switch. Yup, turning and would run 1 cycle again then error out. While deep in thought of what could be the problem, I put my hand on the lid and heard a 'click'. Guess that there was enough vibration to move the lid slightly and the lid switch would open - hence no pellets to burn in the pot. Quick fix was to put a weight on the lid over the switch. Has been running just fine for over 24 hours as I write this.

#1 makes me wonder about Breckwell's final inspection quality.
#2 has me removing the lid switch in all the stoves and directly connecting them, then taping them up.

Are not pellet stoves fun?

todh

stoves are 10 plus years old they are going to have issues... sounds like issues from the previous owners. Only thing i have ever noticed with my big e is the fire pot will vibrate away from the ignitor every few days and i have to push it back or it will not light... Mine does not have the lid switch if it did i would just jumper it and eliminate a possible point of issue

stoves are 10 plus years old they are going to have issues... sounds like issues from the previous owners. Only thing i have ever noticed with my big e is the fire pot will vibrate away from the ignitor every few days and i have to push it back or it will not light... Mine does not have the lid switch if it did i would just jumper it and eliminate a possible point of issue
No previous owners - shipped from factory. Hmmm - did ya read my post at all?

Breckwell did sell to USSC but they are still sold as a stand alone brand

learn something new every day..LOL... all the years i have had this i have never ran across their units for sale new... of course i never looked..

guess i have been lucky with my older big e... been rock solid and only ever had to change out some wear and tear items

Hi All!

Fall start up went as planned, all stoves working. Until yesterday. 2 have problems: Might start, might not. If it did start, might not restart. Cleaned them again, washed the glass, removed all covers and did the dirty work. There was not much soot anywhere. One of the things that I was experiencing was the glass would get streaks on it almost immediately after starting. Took the door off and found that the screws holding the glass and the ones holding the air wash thingie were loose. I mean finger tight. Cleaned up the air wash thingie, glass and put it all back together. Magic happened. Glass is clean after a couple hours running and it restarts ... so far. Gonna do the other stoves next clean out/shutdown.
Amazing what you learn about these things!

Later