Breckwell Combustion Blower Speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronlat

I think I have read that the Brewckwell Combustion Blower Speed should be @ 3000 rpm. How does a person check this speed. I have two Breckwell stoves. One stove has so much vacuum in the combustion chamber I have had to operate with damper no more than 1/3 open most of the time, when burning on 2 setting the damper is almost closed (this stove is a direct vent horizontal run only). With the other stove I cannot open the damper enough to burn at 4 setting, number 3 setting the combustion chamber still shows signs of low air flow (black heavy ash). I have cleaned the pipe and stove twice already this winter, with not as much build up as you would think based on the poor burn. Breckwell suggested I add a vertical run which has only helped a small amount. I have checked the amp draw on the second stove and got readings that made no sense to me (1.5 on one wire .5 on the other) since then the board has been replaced and still get funny readings. I would assume that the amp draw should be the same on both wires to the blower. Could this be a bad blower motor? I asked Breckwell about it and the tech said they only check the voltage to the motor. Well I'm no electrical engineer but wouldn't the amps determine the speed because the voltage remains constant? I am planning to switch the blower motors between the two stoves, but this seems to be a poor way to trouble shoot this now over 1 1/2 year old problem. What if I had only one stove?

ronlat said:
I think I have read that the Brewckwell Combustion Blower Speed should be @ 3000 rpm. How does a person check this speed. I have two Breckwell stoves. One stove has so much vacuum in the combustion chamber I have had to operate with damper no more than 1/3 open most of the time, when burning on 2 setting the damper is almost closed (this stove is a direct vent horizontal run only). With the other stove I cannot open the damper enough to burn at 4 setting, number 3 setting the combustion chamber still shows signs of low air flow (black heavy ash). I have cleaned the pipe and stove twice already this winter, with not as much build up as you would think based on the poor burn. Breckwell suggested I add a vertical run which has only helped a small amount. I have checked the amp draw on the second stove and got readings that made no sense to me (1.5 on one wire .5 on the other) since then the board has been replaced and still get funny readings. I would assume that the amp draw should be the same on both wires to the blower. Could this be a bad blower motor? I asked Breckwell about it and the tech said they only check the voltage to the motor. Well I'm no electrical engineer but wouldn't the amps determine the speed because the voltage remains constant? I am planning to switch the blower motors between the two stoves, but this seems to be a poor way to trouble shoot this now over 1 1/2 year old problem. What if I had only one stove?

Call me in the morning after 10am, 330-448-0300

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.