Breckwell P23i controller does not turn off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joerg

Jan 12, 2013
It happened two days in a row that the on/off button on the Breckwell P23i did not react when I wanted to turn it off. Other buttons didn't react either, only the heat level button worked. After pressing the heat level button the on/off worked again, at least for a moment. No issues when the stove is cold. I also noticed that the stove has very occasionally miraculously turned itself on in summer when it was left plugged in. I hope it's not the programing inside the micro controller going bad because those boards cost a fortune. Turning it off by pulling the power cord is nasty, results in a smokey mess.

The stove is from 2001 and has a 4rpm auger, so it's the gray-panel with black lettering controller (not the black-and-red). Questions:

Does anyone know what can cause this and whether there is any simple fix? I am quite experienced in dealing with electronics, soldering and all that.

If this controller is about to go sour on me, is there a way to turn all that to a good old analog control scheme? I do not like this high-falutin digital stuff anyhow.

Greetings, Joerg