Brick and drywall behind stove - noncombustible or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThisStoveIsOnFire

Sep 22, 2022
NH
Hi, I am having a stove installed in my living room and the wall behind it is covered in 3.5" of brick, which is in front of drywall with a 1" air gap between the two materials. There's also a stone mantel which covers the top of the brick and the air gap.

Am I correct in understanding that the brick counts as a noncombustible surface with this setup? The one thing I'm not sure about is if the mantel covering the top of the air gap disqualifies it by reducing the ability for the air circulate freely, though there are some small gaps along the edge against the drywall since the house has settled since it was built.

Last edited:
Hi, I am having a stove installed in my living room and the wall behind it is covered in 3.5" of brick, which is in front of drywall with a 1" air gap between the two materials. There's also a stone mantel which covers the top of the brick and the air gap.

Am I correct in understanding that the brick counts as a noncombustible surface with this setup? The one thing I'm not sure about is if the mantel covering the top of the air gap disqualifies it by reducing the ability for the air circulate freely, though there are some small gaps along the edge against the drywall since the house has settled since it was built.
The brick is non combustible. But it isn't a non-combustible wall. For an unlisted stove if you had airflow through that gap you would get a 2/3 reduction down to 12". Without air flow it's 1/3. But with a listed stove you need to follow manufacturers instructions

@bholler thanks for the info. When measuring clearances would it generally be from the drywall to the stove/stovepipe? Or from the brick?
Clearances are to the combustible material. So to the drywall not the brick