Brick repair estimates...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
My retired mother needs to get some bricks replaced in the back of her open fireplace. She got a quote and thought it seemed a bit high. My brother thought it was absurd, and got her kind of riled up.

There are about ten bricks that are cracked right behind the fire grate, marked (mostly) with tape in the picture. The fireplace is maybe 5 feet wide and 3.5 to 4 feet high. It is wide open at floor level... Access for a mason to get in, use tools, and sit comfortably is a dream. Replacing these bricks will be similar to replacing bricks at the bottom of a wall.

My question... What is a reasonable range of estimates for such a repair?

To me, it's a small job, so the price of the actual labor should be pretty low, but the expected PITA cost for a mason would raise the price, what with the time to show up and inspect for an estimate, return for the work, and possibly lose a day to do another job.
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't look like firebrick. That looks like good 'ol red brick with 4 holes in it.

The reason it is so high,(how much was it) is that it's such a small job. Few masons will want to mess with it if things are busy. If they do mess with it, they are going to charge $$$, just the way it is. Being it's such a small job learn how, and do it yourself. The must be a video on YouTube. stop at the local brickyard and ask them what would be the proper mortar and brick.

$500. I'm guessing most of that is the PITA fee, and don't hold it against the mason. As for the type of brick, that's another story.

$500. I'm guessing most of that is the PITA fee, and don't hold it against the mason. As for the type of brick, that's another story.
$500 Is in line with what we would charge. But if it is going to be used simply replacing those brick with the same type will not hold up long what is needed really is a new Firefox made with the proper materials.

Who in their right mind would build a firebox like that. I can maybe see using a good solid red brick and use a fireback if a customer wanted an authentic antique, but hollow brick.

Who in their right mind would build a firebox like that. I can maybe see using a good solid red brick and use a fireback if a customer wanted an authentic antique, but hollow brick.
We see it pretty often actually. If they want a more traditional look we just use red firebrick.

$500 bucks to replace 10 bricks? Maybe I need to come out of retirement and learn the trade.

$500 bucks to replace 10 bricks? Maybe I need to come out of retirement and learn the trade.
$500 to replace probably 20 brick by the time you are done possibly the whole back wall plus all of the setup required to do so without making a mess of the house. Plus all of the regular operating expenses. Yes if it is only 10 brick I would make out pretty good at $500. But it can easily turn into much more than that and I could end up losing money as well. That is why I prefer to do time and materials on jobs like that but most customers don't like that they want a number.

Last edited:
$500 to replace probably 20 brick by the time you are done possibly the whole back wall plus all of the setup required to do so without making a mess of the house. Plus all of the regular operating expenses. Yes if it is only 10 brick I would make out pretty good at $500. But it can easily turn into much more than that and I could end up looking money as well. That is why I prefer to do time and materials on jobs like that but most customers don't like that they want a number.

Yeah, when you put it that way it sounds like less of a money maker, not much in the way of easy money anymore. Would be a nice job for winter though, working inside out of the elements.

Yeah, when you put it that way it sounds like less of a money maker, not much in the way of easy money anymore. Would be a nice job for winter though, working inside out of the elements.
Yeah that is typically when we do fireplace rebuilds. You just have to cut outside which sucks