Bring wood in, or keep outside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mine is in the basement with the stove down there, so certainly no moisture issues for me. I will continue to bring it in. I will run a dehumidifier for awhile when I first bring the wood in, but good airflow and low MC for me.

I keep about a weeks worth on the from porch on in a stand and then I bring in a firewood bag worth at a time when I need it.

This is probably going to be more of a preference thing, but would you recommend having a small stash up by the house (for me it would be outside the door near the stove, and your main pile away from the home? Or just have one big storage place and grab it from there?

Depends on how far "away from the home" is - in particular when there is snow or it rains.

I have a week rack in the garage. And a wood shed farther away.

Reactions: RomanW
Depends on how far "away from the home" is - in particular when there is snow or it rains.

I have a week rack in the garage. And a wood shed farther away.
Fair point. We just moved into our home, and this winter will be a first for us, so this year will be a lot of trial and error... Just trying to mitigate how much the "error" part stings (or freezes) lol
I have a carport in between the house and garage... I may stick my transfer stack there...

Reactions: stoveliker
I keep about 3 week's worth (1 cord) on my patio, using the system shown in the photo I posted in the first page of this thread. Many other posters here use a similar system, with as little as 1 week's worth at the house. I'd not want to have any less than that, lest you're forced to go retrieve more from the distant wood lot at inconvenient times.

In fact, I don't even like the 1 week approach, as you're hosed anytime bad weather hits on a weekend. I'd aim to make storage close to the house for at least 2 weeks worth of wood.

I work at home, and I like the break that wheelbarrowing wood into the garage gives. And if bad weather is forecast I fill up regardless of how far down my garage rack was. In this case it doesn't matter what day it is.

At least that is what I tell myself. In the end it's my wife objecting to more wood in the garage...

Reactions: RomanW and Ashful
Going to be my first year with an insert, but I have an old Deck Box that we used to keep seat cushions in. Plan is to fill the box with wood and keep it at the base of the deck stairs. So all I'll have about a 12 foot walk to get wood in bad weather. Wife does not want to have wood in the house ahead of time.

This is probably going to be more of a preference thing, but would you recommend having a small stash up by the house (for me it would be outside the door near the stove, and your main pile away from the home? Or just have one big storage place and grab it from there?

I store my wood out behind the barn, which is a ways from the house. It's in IBC totes and on pallets under tarps. My system is to move a tote full of wood to behind the garage where it's a 60ft walk from the house. I have a set of heavy duty lidded plastic boxes that hold about 40-50 lbs of wood each. I carry those out to the IBC tote, fill them and stack them on the porch near the house door. When I need wood for the stove I bring in plastic bin full. When its time to burn the wood that's on pallets I have to restack it into an empty IBC tote. I modified the tote bladders to be rain caps. The plastic bins keep most of the wood debris in the bin and off the house floor.

Obviously this depends on having equipment that can move a 2000 lb+ IBC tote full of wood. I have heard of people doing something similar with old trailers converted into wood sheds.

I have heard of people doing something similar with old trailers converted into wood sheds.
IMG_1488.JPG

Reactions: RomanW
I store my wood out behind the barn, which is a ways from the house. It's in IBC totes and on pallets under tarps. My system is to move a tote full of wood to behind the garage where it's a 60ft walk from the house. I have a set of heavy duty lidded plastic boxes that hold about 40-50 lbs of wood each. I carry those out to the IBC tote, fill them and stack them on the porch near the house door. When I need wood for the stove I bring in plastic bin full. When its time to burn the wood that's on pallets I have to restack it into an empty IBC tote. I modified the tote bladders to be rain caps. The plastic bins keep most of the wood debris in the bin and off the house floor.

Obviously this depends on having equipment that can move a 2000 lb+ IBC tote full of wood. I have heard of people doing something similar with old trailers converted into wood sheds.
Like this? ;) https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/show-us-your-wood-shed.181210/post-2486712