Bringing in wood for the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Do any of you bring your wood indoors for the day's burn? ( away from the stove of course.) If so, any experience with bugs. What kind of storage do you all have. Would like some ideas, maybe with pics? :) Thx

I have a wood rack near the stove. It holds about two or three days' wood and the wood gets a little extra dry being near the stove. The problem is I tend to replace the wood I use before the rack is half empty. You can only use the wood on top, so what happens is that the wood on the bottom half of the rack sits there a long time, and I keep loading and unloading the same couple of stovefuls of wood. This means the wood I use is less dry than the stuff below. It would be great to have two racks and empty one while the other sits. The firewood is dry in the first place, but a few days inside makes it light really fast, which is nice.

Backwoods said:
Do any of you bring your wood indoors for the day's burn? ( away from the stove of course.) If so, any experience with bugs. What kind of storage do you all have. Would like some ideas, maybe with pics? :) Thx

Yes . . . every day in fact . . . I go out to my covered porch and haul in 1-3 loads of wood and put it in my woodbox.

No bug issue . . . then again this wood has been bucked and split typically for up to 2+ years. I honestly never see any bugs in the house other than the normal occasional house fly, spider, etc.

Attachments

• 2009_01090120.jpg
    2009_01090120.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 968
Thats a nice setup. Looking for some ideas for storage. Maybe I'll build some sort of wood box. I see the cat is the wood guard. Thx

Backwoods said:
Thats a nice setup. Looking for some ideas for storage. Maybe I'll build some sort of wood box. I see the cat is the wood guard. Thx

Yeah it actually came out OK considering that I mostly used left over tongue and groove pine boards . . . I added a few pieces of trim to prettify it . . . it came out well enough that my wife doesn't mind leaving it right there in the summer even when it is not in use which says something since originally we were going to remove it in the Spring and bring it back in the Fall.

I also added some hooks on the outside near the stove to hang some of my tools, flashlight, dustpan and broom, IR thermometer, etc. . . . and inside I have a plastic tote to contain some of the dirt, bark, etc. so I can just empty it out periodically . . . and there is a divider for kindling, matches, etc.

My indoor wood box is lower and longer than Jake's. It holds 2-3 days worth as I generally only burn wood during the day or when the weather is moderate. By being longer, I load one end and use the other end so my wood actually hangs around indoors up to a week before actually being burned.

I keep to racks next to stove that hold .32 cords of wood,lasts a good while when I get low it takes only 15 minutes to restack them from a huge deck box I keep outside the main entrance door to the house.I don't get worried about the occasional spiders or moths that come alive when the cold wood heats up,you have to expect that when you live in the woods.Again I'll post some pics here soon.

firefighterjake, can you please give more details of that box? Some more pics, perhaps of the inside as well. That thing looks great! My wife would LOVE it! Did you glue the tongue & groove together, how does that work? Thanks!

sheepdog000 said:
firefighterjake, can you please give more details of that box? Some more pics, perhaps of the inside as well. That thing looks great! My wife would LOVE it! Did you glue the tongue & groove together, how does that work? Thanks!

Sure . . . happy to do so . . . I'm not much of a carpenter though so it probably looks a lot fancier than it is . . . other members here have whipped up some very nice looking woodboxes that are absolutely beautiful.

It's about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide and maybe 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall . . . I made a frame out of 2 x 4s and then tacked the tongue and groove together . . . covering up the nails with some cheap trim I either bought or had on hand (I forget). Cover is a bunch of boards with ugly looking wood on the inside (the one thing I wish I had changed) holding them together (I'll post some pics showing this) with two hinges. As mentioned I bought a few small hooks and screwed them in on the side near the woodstove to hold a few tools.

Inside I placed the plastic box to contain the mess . . . and made a small separation so I could have a place for kindling.

I should update these pics . . . since I have a new broom and dust pan, more tools . . . and most importantly I took these pics early in the season a few years back when I was still burning my punks, chunks and uglies . . . you can see how "ugly" my wood was -- it didn't stack up very nice in the woodbox since it was all twisted and mangled.

Attachments

• woodbox2.jpg
    woodbox2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 926
  • woodbox4.jpg
    woodbox4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 955
I use one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_327764-42783-1085_4294765304_4294937087_?productId=3260367&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Fireplace+Accessories+Maintenance_4294765304_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo;=

"Style Selections Wrought Iron Log Holder with Canvas Tote"

I got it on clearance for $25 or so.

Hears what I use In the corner of the basement. It's a bulk shipping container. I bought it for 20bucks. I load it with a scrap piece of 10 inch pvc pipe(free) threw the window you see up/right of the box. It holds about 1/3 of a cord if stacked over the edge. It works verry well. The box is about 10ft from the stove. I haven't seen any bugs, I even put sticky traps around the box. Pat

Attachments

• hearth.com 059.jpg
    hearth.com 059.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 837
  • hearth.com 060.jpg
    hearth.com 060.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 839
I bring in dry wood, maybe 2, 3 days worth. Bugs for the most part, don't live in dry wood.

We keep a bulk bag of dry wood out in the conservatory in case of bad weather.

Bulkbagofwoodinconservatory.jpg

Chiming in from a cold climate. A woodbox wouldn't work for me because I want the air circulating around the wood when I bring it in. I almost always pre-warm my wood because it's not effective to put extremely cold wood in the fire, and the manufacturer warns against this, as it can cause damage to the stove.

I bought a set of Stack-It Brackets for about $20, and put a rack together with 2x4's. I rattle-canned it with brown paint in kind of a blotchy, burnt-wood pattern rather than painted the whole thing solid colored. Looks good with the Mexican tile on the floor of my sunroom. The rack is three feet long and two feet high, and my splits are 1.5 feet long. I usually have to refill it one to two times a week, along with some birch I tuck in the corner between the rack and the wall.

I keep my spruce under the deck outside of the sunroom, and pull wood in using a cargo sled. Two-to-three sled loads overfills the woodrack. I try to refill with at least a 12 hour supply of wood left inside, and I take that off the rack and put it in a cardboard flat I keep behind the stove. That way, my warm dry wood is available while the other wood has had a chance to come up to temp.

When I bring the outside wood in, if the ambient temp is -30, the wood is, too. I can usually feel the cold radiating off the wood for several hours, and my windows in the sunroom can get pretty steamed up or ice up. If the wood was in a woodbox, it would stay cold a lot longer. With the rack, I have air circulating under, around, and behind the wood, and it warms up a lot faster.

Lots of threads addressing this, so poke around--you might find other ideas as well. You'll find your own system as you go. I had been in the habit of bringing wood to the underdeck by the sledload, stacking it on the racks there, and then carrying it in by the armload into the house. One day, I looked at the width of the door frame, then at the sled, and kept right on going and never looked back. Instead of nine or ten armloads to fill, three sled loads get 'er done with less wear and tear on my shoulders and no apparent wear and tear on the tile floor. Systems evolve as you work them.

My recommendation is that before you build yourself a woodbox, live with a cardboard box of similar dimensions for awhile. Take the time to figure out what's going to work for you.

As for bugs, you'll find out as you go. I've heard in some places there are little bugs that live in bark and come out when they warm up. I've never had a bug problem. Last spring when I had to burn some punky wood, there were little buggy things living under the bark. They never left their woody homes, and burned with the bark. Granted, I didn't let that stuff sit around inside very long.

Wood Duck said:
I have a wood rack near the stove. It holds about two or three days' wood and the wood gets a little extra dry being near the stove. The problem is I tend to replace the wood I use before the rack is half empty. You can only use the wood on top, so what happens is that the wood on the bottom half of the rack sits there a long time, and I keep loading and unloading the same couple of stovefuls of wood. This means the wood I use is less dry than the stuff below. It would be great to have two racks and empty one while the other sits. The firewood is dry in the first place, but a few days inside makes it light really fast, which is nice.

I went through this my first year of burning ^

I built this for this year; I'll pull from the one side, when it's empty I'll move to the other side, and then restock the first one.

And to the OP - bugs have not been a problem at all. It also doesn't make the mess that you would expect - I'll shop vac the area 2 or 3 times a month to keep things tidy.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 765
LL Bean canvas log carrier, 1 to 2 loads a day. It contains the mess. I keep a short metal wood rack in the garage and refill the bag from that. Reload the rack once every 2 weeks on average.

I bring in about 1-2 days of wood into the basement. Have not had any bug problems. Every once in a while I will kill a bug, but nothing to worry about. I also keep things clean. The broom and dust pan get used every day. The big shop vac once a week.

Hey, I can't call Backwoods Savage, Backwoods anymore. :lol: Damn. Backwoods Savage, Dennis, V.S. (vertical splitter), which do you prefer Dennis? :)

The pictures of wood storage in this thread are awesome. Love the bin and canvas bag!

Woodchip, what kind of wood is that in your bin? I've got some and have been trying to figure it out for months!

f v

Basement with a wood door & a wood box.

Attachments

• 100_6832.jpg
    100_6832.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 401
curber said:
Hears what I use In the corner of the basement. It's a bulk shipping container. I bought it for 20bucks. I load it with a scrap piece of 10 inch pvc pipe(free) threw the window you see up/right of the box. It holds about 1/3 of a cord if stacked over the edge. It works verry well. The box is about 10ft from the stove. I haven't seen any bugs, I even put sticky traps around the box. Pat

I have two of those exact same crates I picked up on craigslist, they're great, I can put a couple weeks worth of wood in them which was good last year since we had a one month snow blitz of close to 4 feet and I didnt have to go digging through the snow to keep the stove going. They also keep the mess contained.

snowleopard said:
Chiming in from a cold climate. A woodbox wouldn't work for me because I want the air circulating around the wood when I bring it in. I almost always pre-warm my wood because it's not effective to put extremely cold wood in the fire, and the manufacturer warns against this, as it can cause damage to the stove.

A very interesting thought there, wonder how much quicker it would be to get up onto a secondary burn with warmer wood than refilling a firebox with very cold wood........

Something to think about on a freezing day whilst sitting in front of a hot fire....... ;-)

Been wondering the same thing. I have a stack near the stove that keeps about 2 days burn, but since I don't always shuffle the wood, the driest wood remains sometimes. My wife likes the stacked look (damn I love her) and I think I will build a simple rack with two shelves - each with one day burn length. Stain the wood like the nice box above.

Store in next to the stove, use the Wood Chuck to bring it inside from the covered patio deck. Works great, no bugs

Attachments

• 30 Fire Up 001 (Custom).jpg
    30 Fire Up 001 (Custom).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 404
  • Woodchuck Wood Carrier (Custom).jpg
    Woodchuck Wood Carrier (Custom).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 409
Status
Not open for further replies.