Bringing in wood for the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a brand new full size trash can and have it in the house, i fill it full of wood and spray a little bug spray around the rim before putting the lid on so if there are bugs inside they stay inside. repeat every few days.

I have a wheeled cart by Vogelzang to bring wood in from the garage. It's decorative enough to stay by the stove, we think, which makes for less wood handling.

index.php

I think Jake convinced me to build a wood box. I might even put wheels on it like a wheeled cooler to roll it over by the door to fill. Actually, that's exactly what im going to do!

EJL923 said:
I think Jake convinced me to build a wood box. I might even put wheels on it like a wheeled cooler to roll it over by the door to fill. Actually, that's exactly what im going to do!

Seems to me someone much more talented than me built a woodbox and put large caster wheels on the base for easy loading and wheeling around.

Here is a picture of my setup just a few minutes ago. You can see the rack I use to store a couple of days' wood next to the stove. I got it for a couple of dollars at a garage sale. It is cracked at the base so it seems unstable when empty, but with a little wood in it it is stable. The cloth carrier with the welding gloves in it is another garage sale item. If I want a little extra wood on hand I load the cloth carrier and keep the wood in it to contain the mess.

I don't get bugs, but there is a bit of mess from saw chips, bits of bark, etc. falling off the wood. I just vacuum to keep things tidy.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 276
Wood Duck said:
I just vacuum to keep things tidy.
I'm too paranoid to vacuum around the stove lest I inadvertently pick up a hot coal. In fact, I won't even sweep it into a dustpan after closing the door until a good amount of time has passed.

LLigetfa said:
Wood Duck said:
I just vacuum to keep things tidy.
I'm too paranoid to vacuum around the stove lest I inadvertently pick up a hot coal. In fact, I won't even sweep it into a dustpan after closing the door until a good amount of time has passed.

I have a bagless vacuum with a clear container, so I can see the dirt I am collecting. Once I vacuumed up a very small, red hot coal and I could see that thing glowing while it swirled around inside the vacuum. I quickly turned off the vacuum which made the glow diminish a lot, and I emptied the dirt into the ash bucket. Now I don't vacuum for a while after loading the stove.

I think i am going to use the kubota and drop a weeks worth on the back porch and then put a tarp over it. Then when i need wood just step out get a couple splits and go back inside.

This has worked in the pas with the fire places so i figure it will work with the boiler.

Wood Duck, that's a very neat set up you have there :)

I have a two rack system that holds several days worth of wood in total. It is a wire "baker's rack" that came as a single unit with wheels - option to build as two (one without wheels, one with) which is how I assembled it. So I have one short two shelf wheeled rack to bring the wood from across the room to the stove and another 3 shelf unit that sits by the stove to store wood. I use from the stationary unit first, then refill from the other or (more often) I pick from the various shelves the pieces I want to feed into the stove as I load. Then I consolidate the remaining pieces off the wheeled unit onto the other before re-fill time. This gives me pretty good stock rotation.

Like others, I rather like having the wood sit in the house and warm up and/or dry off whatever ice/snow/rain may have fallen on it. I have not had any significant bug issues. Occasional spider here and there in the fall, but once we get a good week of freezing temps it seems the bugs die off and go into hibernation.

Overall it hasn't been much extra mess and being able to sweep up whatever falls from under the racks is nice. I do this after each load and use a dustbuster to suck up the pile. I haven't had any issues with hot coals falling out of the stove to land in the pile - perhaps because I haven't had coals build up high enough to be near the base of the door? I just don't recall it happening... now that I said that I bet it happens tonight eh?

Slow1 said:
I have a two rack system that holds several days worth of wood in total. It is a wire "baker's rack" that came as a single unit with wheels - option to build as two (one without wheels, one with) which is how I assembled it. So I have one short two shelf wheeled rack to bring the wood from across the room to the stove and another 3 shelf unit that sits by the stove to store wood. I use from the stationary unit first, then refill from the other or (more often) I pick from the various shelves the pieces I want to feed into the stove as I load. Then I consolidate the remaining pieces off the wheeled unit onto the other before re-fill time. This gives me pretty good stock rotation.

Like others, I rather like having the wood sit in the house and warm up and/or dry off whatever ice/snow/rain may have fallen on it. I have not had any significant bug issues. Occasional spider here and there in the fall, but once we get a good week of freezing temps it seems the bugs die off and go into hibernation.

Overall it hasn't been much extra mess and being able to sweep up whatever falls from under the racks is nice. I do this after each load and use a dustbuster to suck up the pile. I haven't had any issues with hot coals falling out of the stove to land in the pile - perhaps because I haven't had coals build up high enough to be near the base of the door? I just don't recall it happening... now that I said that I bet it happens tonight eh?

Sounds like a good system Slow, can you take a pic?

woodchip said:
snowleopard said:
Chiming in from a cold climate. A woodbox wouldn't work for me because I want the air circulating around the wood when I bring it in. I almost always pre-warm my wood because it's not effective to put extremely cold wood in the fire, and the manufacturer warns against this, as it can cause damage to the stove.

A very interesting thought there, wonder how much quicker it would be to get up onto a secondary burn with warmer wood than refilling a firebox with very cold wood........

Well, if we cut a split into 1" chunks, put it in the freezer, then the microwave, and then marinate it in balsamic vinegar, we should get a good answer.

weatherguy said:
Slow1 said:

Sounds like a good system Slow, can you take a pic?

Here you go - excuse the mess :) Taken a few minutes ago. One on the left (empty mostly) is the on with wheels. Guess you know what I have on my todo list tomorrow eh? I fed the stove about 45 minutes ago so figured I ought to show off the stove too so shot a picture of it too.

These racks came from BJ's - they come in a smaller size as well (I think these are 3' wide and the smaller ones are 2') so you could save a little space going smaller I suppose. The lower shelf is a basket which is the only annoying part to me - only the smaller splits fit inside so sometimes that is wasted space as I end up stacking on top of it and it is nothing but air space below (2-3" of height)... if I were shopping for them again I'd watch out for the basket shelf to avoid them. This is my 4th season using this season and they have held up well.

Attachments

• CIMG3750.jpg
    CIMG3750.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 231
  • CIMG3752.jpg
    CIMG3752.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 251
theres alot of good ideas here. Still debating on buying or making something. But I know that I will definitely be bringing in my wood for the day.

The fist two pictures below are from our basement family room. I bought the metal brackets and cut 2x4s to set up the rack. I have wood stacked under a covered entrance near the stove and a nice stack of wood just outside the basement door. For our upstairs stove, I have an old metal canning container (1x2 ft - see third picture) that my wife found at a yard sale or auction. She did not want a large supply of wood in our living room. We fill it twice a day and have a lot of wood stacked in our garage which is near the stove. Last year, I stacked two rows in the garage (6ft high and about 12 ft long) in the fall. I reloaded over Christmas vacation and brought wood inside as needed after that. I don't know how much wood we burnt last winter since I was using wood from several stacks and didn't bother measuring them.

Attachments

• woodrack1.jpg
    woodrack1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 189
  • woodrack2.jpg
    woodrack2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 180
  • upstairs.jpg
    upstairs.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 208
I like the metro shelving on wheels but it ain't retro enough for the wife's taste in decor. She opted for the VC cast iron box. I see you can buy metro in black powdercoat now. Not sure how it would stand up to the wear however. I'd worry about bits falling off the wood en route. I replaced my old sling with the bag style for that very reason.

I've got one of these rolling scaffolds with decent size wheels on it but if the wife says no to the metro, you could imagine the choice words she had for that idea.

232533_300.jpg

In the meantime, I put it to good use out in the shed.
100_0296.JPG

Thats a good idea LLigetfa maybe if you dressed it up a little the wife would change her mind?

I use 3 rubbermaid buckets. Holds about a days worth in each and all the mess stays in the bucket. Make sure they are Rubbermaid brand. The plastic type tend to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.