broke the maul...time for a new one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
Well, it finally happened...the maul I have used for the past 10 years, and repaced the handle on three times, broke again. I think I am going to break down and get a new one, and perhaps keep the head of the old one to use as a wedge or a door stop or something like that. I am looking at the Fiskars splitting axe with the 4.5 pound head and 28 inch handle. I have read only positive things about this one, and think it should work...any thoughts from those that have used this axe?

Sounds like you're overstriking a little bit. The shorter handle of the Fiskars might be just what you need. I've had the same handle on my maul for 25 years.

Santa brought me a Fiskars super splitter for Christmas. We tried it out some yesterday. It works as well or better than the True Temper splitting axe with a winged head that I have used for years but doesn't require near as much effort. My 64 year old father was impressed by how well it worked. The red oak and soft maple we have used it on split very easily but they normally split well by any method. Overall, a thumbs up!

flash49 said:
...Bigg Redd...Why you no like???

He's japin' ya, flash. Trust me. Rick

quads said:
Sounds like you're overstriking a little bit. The shorter handle of the Fiskars might be just what you need. I've had the same handle on my maul for 25 years.

Same here.

Buy a replacement handle and lop off a couple inches off the end with a table saw.

Or else afix a hunk of rubber just below the maul head. I've seen them in hardware stores especially for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.