broken bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joop

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2018
beauharnois ,quebec
could the wood expand enough to crack side bricks.i'm not the most gentle putting wood in stove but when i put on side use moon shaped splits and put them slowly .only place with cracked bricks.oooh i'm a burning hunk

Last edited:
No, it's your actions that cracked the brick. Lay the splits down gently.

And bricks do just crack. Especially the hard more dense brick. The pumice ones don't crack as easily but they do wear down

Hotter fire directly on the bricks could result in clinkers being fused to the brick. I've had that (after I emptied out too many ashes to be able to fill the stove to the brim when we had a polar vortex event, and I was thus running the stove hard).

At old age, bricks can of course crack as they do slowly deteriorate. But most often it's just users being too rough with them (when putting firewood in).
That's my $0.02 and I'm sticking to it.

Reactions: cahaak and bholler